My AW11 Fritzinger widebody. Some years of work in pictures

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

XLarge

Re: My AW11 Fritzinger widebody. Some years of work in pictures

Post by XLarge »

It isn't impossible to get non TÜV approved parts legalized here in Germany. It's just difficult and expensive.
My other project car, a 1992 Celica Carlos Sainz, is fitted with non approved parts all over ( Tein suspension, Work wheels, Safety Devices rollcage, Takata belts, HKS exaust, HKS blow off valve, AP Racing brakes…) and everything is legalized. Only paid more than 1500 Eur to get them legalized. ](*,)
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Dafür gibt's ja den Speedy :-)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

XLarge wrote:It´s done !

Passed the TÜV check yesterday and managed it to get it registered bevor the late shift. Still have to clean up inside and find out why the radio don´t work, but it´s finally back on the road after 10 years !

That looks sick :thumleft:
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

mr2magic wrote:Dafür gibt's ja den Speedy :-)

Da bin ich mit der Allradschlurre Stammgast und bei Chris wurden auch die meisten Umbauten daran eingetragen. Gerade kürzlich der Überrollbügel, die Gurte, ein anderes Lenkrad und das BOV .
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

Bump !

So another three years has gone my MR2 was stored in his shed and wasn´t driven.

In the review it wasn´t the best idea to not open the 200k km engine fully before the install. It came as it had to. The engine showed a enormous oil consumption due to hardened valve stam seals or/and stuck piston rings. I drove it some times after the last rebuild but put it back into storage as it burned so much oil that you couldn´t see the car in the rear view mirror because of the oil fog.

Plan was to open the engine again to fix it but again my Celica took more time and money for the project progress ( installed a rear roll cage, Recaro seats and Takata racing harness belts into it ) as I´ve expected so the MR2 had to stick back again. The TÜV ( = MOT ) expired in the meantime so I´ve deregistered it this spring.

Now the Celica is done ( and broke a piston on a vacation trip this summer... ) and the MR2 turned 30 years old in july I decided it´s time to start working on it again.

The reason the 30th birthday plays a roll is that a 30 year old car that´s original or period correct modified can be registered as a historic car here in Germany. That means that I´ll have to pay a flat rate road tax for it ( 190 € instead of almost 500 € per year for a 1.6liter non cat engine ) and cars with a historic registration are excepted from the pollution zone rule ( cars without converter aren´t allowed to enter citys here ) .
Last edited by XLarge on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

So we brought the MR2 back to my pal´s garage using a trailer ( where we curbed the wheels again ](*,) ) and pulled the engine again:

After removing the exhaust header I´ve got a hint where the oil got burned:

XLarge

Post by XLarge »

We teared down the engine fully and found quiet good cylinder walls for a 200k km+ engine as well as reusable pistons:

Packed the head, the block and the pistons with the rods in tubs and brought it to a engine shop:

XLarge

Post by XLarge »

The shop removed the crank from the block, poilshed the bearing surface, replaced the bearings, hooned the cylinder walls, replaced the pistons rings. The shop owner also removed the valves from the head, checked the valve guides ( all good ) ,remilled the exhaust valve seats, grinded in all valves and replaced the valve stam seals.

On my request the head and the cylinder block surface was skimmed 0.15 mm each and a stock multi layer steel head gasket from a 7A-FE engine was used. It´s more durable and the skimming and the thinner head gasket should raise the compression rate a bit.

Received back the motor, fixed it to my engine stand, glued the oil pan back on and started setting the valve clearence. My collection of shims from five engines didn´t contend the shims I´ve need so I had to buy some from a local motor bike shop. Some Yamaha motor cycle engines have the same shims as our 4A-GE :lol:

Next step was to repolish the valve covers and assamble the engine further:

My home brew six speed gearbox conversion had shown a leak so I used the chance to solve that problem while the gear box was out of the car again:

Last edited by XLarge on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

It´s been two weeks since the project restart and last saturday we married the geargox back to the engine:

and pulled it back into it´s home:

Good progress if you ask me.

Already reconnect all the hoses and cables the same day, filled up oils and water and after the third try the distributor was in the correct timing and the engine started.

The car still need some finishing work, a bit of cosmetic but than it´s good to get road worthy test, historic car certificate test and reregistrastion !

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”