[Mk2] [NA] Broken Brake Bleed Nipple Removal.

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR22

[Mk2] [NA] Broken Brake Bleed Nipple Removal.

Post by MR22 »

Hi all.

Rather stupidly, though accidentally, I've broken off flush the steel, not stainless, brake bleed nipple from the NEW front nearside brake caliper that is fitted to my 2.!

I've a set of Easi-Outs and tried to remove the nipple but chickened out as it seemed totally reluctant to come out and I was fearful of breaking off the tool inside the the caliper. As you may know it's hardened and impossible to get out once broken.

Has anyone suffered this problem and successfully overcome it, especially in situ?
If so, I'd love to know how you tackled it !

Many thanks.
gnzyza

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Broken Brake Bleed Nipple Removal.

Post by gnzyza »

Have you tried using a drift/chisel and hammer. Or a left handed tap? If they're new shouldn't be too hard to remove.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

First off get some good penetrant fluid on it. Not WD a prpoer penetrant.
Next get a couple of drill bits, one a bit fatter than the current hole and then step up a bit fatter again but not as fat as the width of the threads of the nipple.
Next tape the bits to mark how deep you can safely go.

The idea is you want to get as deep and wide a hole as you can so you can use the biggest easy out. You want to be at least 3/4 up the thread of the easy out so bear that in mind when you select sizes.

You will probably find with the heat of drilling as soon as the easy out bites the nipple will come out.

You can get reverse thread drill bits (at a cost) but using one of these might see the nipple release as you are drilling.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

The bleed nipple isn't hardened.....which is probably the reason ist sheared off in the first place.

Other than that..EZ out or left handed drill bit.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Even though it's a PITA I'd suggest getting the caliper off at this point rather than hoping to sort it in situ - I've had this issue a couple of times before and you're best to have the caliper off so that you can flush swarf etc. out once you're done drilling etc. otherwise those bits of swarf could damage the piston seals or block up the fluid passages inside the caliper.

Plus it makes it a lot easier to work on :thumleft:

Try the EZ-outs etc. - you might get lucky on this occasion. On my Scooby caliper it took about 2 days to fix having broken off about 4 regular drill bits and a TCT drill bit while drilling the nipple out, turned into a right mess. Had to bore the hole out and helicoil it in the end, never felt satisfied with that solution though.
tottacrolla

Post by tottacrolla »

Tap in a slightly over sized quality Torx bit.
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

Remove the handle from a file which leaves the tang end free, tap the tang end into the broken nipple and then unscrew it.

Return to “Mechanical”