2mad

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Can anyone help me identify this smoking issue?? VIDEO

Post by 2mad »

Pics..

Thats how i did it .. no creep :thumleft:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

alex687 wrote:I got confused myself cos I didn't look at who was posting. I thought it was bob saying my comp wheel looked lost!

Whats the plan then bob? what parts need replacing? Can you get hold of an identical turbine wheel? would you recommend clipping it? and can you port the wastegate without too much trouble?

You need a turbine wheel with shaft, bearings, seals, thurst, and balance. I will try to find a wheel to match yours but with the extra blade it gives less room to get the gasses out.

I will mill out the wastegate ports and try to get the arm to open up more.
You will need to check your down pipe is not getting in the way of the wastegate opening up.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Bob your awesome .. id buy a turbo from you in a hart beat :thumleft:

Took me 2 days lol to do the porting :lol:
alex687

Post by alex687 »

so am i right to think a 10 bladed turbine will only help eliminate creep? if so then just stick one of those on.

I have a Berk downpipe I think it has plenty of room for the arm to open further... hard to say for sure though.

Could you PM me with some rough idea and breakdown of costs of everything
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Creep comes from not being able to expel exhaust gasses from the wategate quick enough .
alex687

Post by alex687 »

2mad wrote:Creep comes from not being able to expel exhaust gasses from the wategate quick enough .

Yea and the wastegate is needed to expel some of the high pressure exhaust gases upstream of the turbine. Obviously if the wastegate can't cope with the gases then that pressure is allowed to build and continue to accelerate the turbine - so surely having a less restrictive turbine will have the same effect.

I'm no expert but my understanding is that a ported wastegate and less restrictive turbine wheel will both be beneficial for stopping creep...?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

alex687 wrote:
2mad wrote:Creep comes from not being able to expel exhaust gasses from the wategate quick enough .

Yea and the wastegate is needed to expel some of the high pressure exhaust gases upstream of the turbine. Obviously if the wastegate can't cope with the gases then that pressure is allowed to build and continue to accelerate the turbine - so surely having a less restrictive turbine will have the same effect.

I'm no expert but my understanding is that a ported wastegate and less restrictive turbine wheel will both be beneficial for stopping creep...?

I just know a less restrictive wastegate worked .. but what you said sounds right to me .
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

alex687 wrote:so am i right to think a 10 bladed turbine will only help eliminate creep? if so then just stick one of those on.

I have a Berk downpipe I think it has plenty of room for the arm to open further... hard to say for sure though.

Could you PM me with some rough idea and breakdown of costs of everything

Yes I will as soon as I have an idea of the costs, still trying to sort the right parts.....lol
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
2mad

Post by 2mad »

It all about flow .. the quicker you can get the exhaust gasses out the better .
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

2mad

Post by 2mad »

That looks super neat Bob , much neater than mine (did do it with a dremol lol) love how the wastegate opens way more with your mod .. clever stuff.

Top work buddy :thumleft:
alex687

Post by alex687 »

So... reviving this thread with an update.

I got the turbo back from Bob around September/October last year. I got it all hooked back up around november and started the engine no problem. I figured whilst I had the car off the road I'd investigate some bubbling on the sills. I unearthed an absolute nightmare... to cut a long story short I decided to do a proper repair job which ended taking about 6 months.

Anyway eventually, around June/July I finally had the car ready and insured - with an newly rebuiilt (although 8/9 months old) turbo. At first I saw some smoke, but my theory was that maybe this was residue in the IC and pipes. This cleared up to an extent but I was still seeing some faint signs of smoke in the rear view mirror, but generally only in 1st/2nd gear when right at the peak power.

I had only done maybe 200 miles total in relatively short journeys before I took it down south to see family. I'm sure I was noticing smoke more by the end of this 200 mile journey, but it was almost as if it wasn't always doing it. I need to investigate this further and get some videos maybe. When I got down south I checked the oil and it had dipped below the min marker :( I filled it up to max and drove home the next day. 200 miles later and it had dropped just below mid point I'd say. I didn't drive it as hard on the return leg, this seems a bit excessive rate of oil burning.

This was a couple weeks ago, I haven't driven it since. The cars done a total of about 600 miles since turbo was put on. I have taken the intake pipes apart and didn't see an abnormal amount of oil. I did check the turbo for play and have got a video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPWGArlD9ng

I've received mixed opinions on how much play there should be in a turbo. There was a little play in this when I first got it back from Bob. I can't be sure but I think there is a bit more play now...

Next I took the plugs out:

I always thought white plugs meant running lean, hot. But another thing I noticed was the tailpipes covered in a lot of black soot, and I have always presumed it runs rich.

Next I did a compression test. The engine was stone cold and I got 160,165,145,170. I don't really know what to make of that but the low one does grab my attention.

Anyway I hope someone has had the patience to read through all this. I've invested so much time and money into this damn car - I don't want it to smoke when I thrash it and don't want it to burn stupid amounts of oil. If I have to rebuild the engine then I will. Are there any other things I can to to investigate the cause? what do people think about the turbo play? spark plugs? compression readings?
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

That's a lot of oil being used up. Re do the compression test on a warm engine, wide open throttle, remove the EFI fuse and king lead.

Might be worth mocking up a catch can. Coke bottle or similar.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

you have a rocking horse turbo LOL I'd say way to much play in it
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

alanmr2turbo wrote:you have a rocking horse turbo LOL I'd say way to much play in it

Yup that's way to much play if it hits on the housing..
alex687

Post by alex687 »

Bob has kindly offered to take the turbo and rebuild it under warranty. When I took the turbo off I noticed the was very little soot around the exhaust turbine, wastegate and top of downpipe.

So I've got spark plugs suggesting its running lean, no soot in the exhaust system nearest the turbo but very very sooty tailpipes. Does that not suggest oil is escaping from the turbo and burning up in the exhaust pipe?
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Plugs look lk to me. All cars emit waste gas or soot out the exhaust

Return to “Mechanical”