TOM'S 96 Rev 3 GTS - BREAK ME UP, BEFORE YOU GO GO

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

C35Rob

Re: TOM'S 96 Rev 3 GTS - BREAK ME UP, BEFORE YOU GO GO

Post by C35Rob »

little picture dump from yesterday

and finally - the exact same spot, five years apart. I loved that Saab, was just under 300bhp, loads of torque, bilstein suspension etc etc, shame that a cracked bulkhead (common problem) eventually killed it

EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

this is now for sale, I've seen another car I want so need to free up funds :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

C35Rob wrote:this is now for sale, I've seen another car I want so need to free up funds :thumleft:

Like so many other builds, car gets sold just before or after completion, on topic, car looks really nice Rob, I would remove all the stickers from the back window, not a great look :-k

What are you planning now ?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Martin F wrote:
C35Rob wrote:this is now for sale, I've seen another car I want so need to free up funds :thumleft:

Like so many other builds, car gets sold just before or after completion, on topic, car looks really nice Rob, I would remove all the stickers from the back window, not a great look :-k

What are you planning now ?

thanks mate, I like the stickers, it's in keeping with the period correct Japanese style - easy for a new owner to peel them off though.

I'm only advertising it for sale because it's just not practical for me anymore, I can't take the baby out in it so if me and the mrs want to go out in it we have to take two cars, drop the baby off with one of the grandparents and then go for a drive and collect the baby before going home - it turns a nice drive etc into a military operation. So the next car will have 4 seats and 4 doors but will still be japanese and turbocharged

I do have a particular car in mind, but we'll wait to see what happens with this before I open my mouth :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Wow Rob what a car. Shane to see you selling up you should be very proud of what you've built on this car

Shout if you're up for selling me the water method kit..... :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Great car Rob, shame to see it up for sale.. :(
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

thanks for all the positive comments :thumleft:

@androo007 - unfortunately I'm not removing any parts from the car for sale separately, the only thing that may be removed would be the datalogit, incase I end up with a Power FC on the car I want to buy - but that would obviously depend on whether the new owner wanted it or not
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Square enough.

So, the question is.... what's tempting you away?!

Skyline R32 before the 25th year?

Orrrrrr I even wonder like a gt3000 (hmm no actually that's not very you I'd say)

Nissan S15? Now there's a delicious car
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

well, I suppose there's no point in being secretive...

I've been looking at a classic impreza, an STI Version 3 555 limited edition to be exact. it ticks all of the boxes for me and I've never had a 4x4 rally-style car before so it's on my list of cars to own before I grow up
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Understand 100%. A V5 sti classic is the one car that's seriously able to tempt me away from the mr2. It's an itch I've had since I was 18 so understand completely. Nothing beats that boxer sound. (Apart from v8+)
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

My other weekend car along with the mr2 is an sti v5 and its the best car I've ever bought. They are so raw and fun to drive. The grip levels are insane as well.

Just be careful what you buy mate, id highly recommend getting one that's had alot spent on it as they can get expensive quickly.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Real shame rob.

Hopefully you stick around on the forums, no reason not to pass on your knowledge.

Hopefully new car meets your needs better.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

cheers Jim, Yeah I'll be sticking around regardless of whether I remain in MR2 ownership or not..

I've not actually ever driven an impreza, although I have been in one a while back - one of my mates has got a very nice '99 Impreza that he's kindly offered to let me take out for a good long drive so I'll try to make that happen this week some time.

however until the MR2 sells I'll continue on with it as planned :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I really enjoyed my time with a 4x4 turbo (st205) there great fun rain or shine cant wait to be in my next (evo) ... shame you have to sell up but needs must , ive really enjoyed your project and insightful posts hope you don't lose interest in the site when the 2 is gone ...

Kind regards, Kev.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Couple of little jobs done today, no pics because I was pushed for time but I swapped the front ARB drop links for adjustable rose joined ones, to match the rear and also dropped the front end down by 10mm

I raised the rear suspension by 10mm and addressed the couple of areas where the arches were catching over big bumps then fully sealed the arches up with sikaflex PU sealant.

I'm a lot happier with how the car sits now, going to get the Achilles track tyres fitted to the back end on Thursday and take it for a drive out to some quiet Northumberland roads to scrub them in :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

C35Rob wrote:

had a chance to test this yet??

purely water? or a mix?

:mrgreen:

wouldnt mind giving it a go.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

jimGTS wrote:
C35Rob wrote:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... exkp8y.jpg

purely water? or a mix?

Done about 200 miles running it, compressor wheel looks fine so far. Straight water at the minute but I ordered 20 litres of methanol last night.

Not sure if you will be able to find a nozzle holder online (the only ones I found were for 4" inlets) I'm sure any fabricator could make you one though. I'm not a trader so I can't solicit for profit on here, but I could probably do one in exchange for a donation to a worthy cause like a donkey sanctuary :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

got the Achilles track tyres fitted today

we've gone from a 245/40 R17 falken ZE914 to a 255/35 R17 Achilles 123S, I didn't really like the way the falkens looked, and I wanted to try some grippy tyres so I bought these a good while ago

first impressions of the new rubber - they're WIDE.. supposedly only 10mm difference in width between them and the falkens but I'd say it was more like 20mm, they look loads better, the extra girth and little less sidewall give them a proper meaty square look.. I've not driven 'properly' on them yet, will give them a few miles to scrub in first then will be able to report back although if they're good enough for Daigo Saito, they'll be good enough for me .

it's a different angle, but here's a before comparison - that was on the old suspension too, so no RCA's etc

much better now eh?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

C35Rob wrote:
jimGTS wrote:
C35Rob wrote:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... exkp8y.jpg

purely water? or a mix?

Done about 200 miles running it, compressor wheel looks fine so far. Straight water at the minute but I ordered 20 litres of methanol last night.

Not sure if you will be able to find a nozzle holder online (the only ones I found were for 4" inlets) I'm sure any fabricator could make you one though. I'm not a trader so I can't solicit for profit on here, but I could probably do one in exchange for a donation to a worthy cause like a donkey sanctuary :thumleft:

thoughts on using the compressor boost controller port as opposed to straight at the blades?

ive seen folk fit injectors in the comp housing instead to save hitting the blades.

:-k :-k
ashley

Post by ashley »

I think the whole theory is achieving phase change of the water/ meth as the air is compressed across the blades of the compressor wheel...which is why you need to inject it before the compressor wheel. Spraying post wheel will be the same (I think) as spraying in the hot pipe pre-intercooler, and not achieve the change in efficiency of the compressor wheel.

Return to “Member Profiles”