[Mk2] [NA] Cutting out

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

grayboots

[Mk2] [NA] Cutting out

Post by grayboots »

Hi Everyone, looking for some help.
I have a fantastic , yellow import tintop Mr2 SW20 rev2 n/a. It has a strange fault where it occasionally cuts out and wont restart. Ive been recovered from the roadside twice now so need to solve it.
My first guess was the igniter, strangely a rev 2 igniter isnt that easy to find so i had to get a previously enjoyed one. Unfortunately the fault still remains. Its a little better in so much that it will restart a few minutes after a failure.
To move things along i thave changed the plugs, leads, cap, rotor , coil , igniter again and also ran through all of the wires with a meter. All connections have little or no resistance and look as new. I have also added an extra earth or two.
Still worried about the igniter i have put a scope on the igf and igt wires and have a good signal. When it cuts out i still have igf igt activity so i think i can rule out the distributor and igniter even though i always get a code 14 error after it stops.
Im pretty sure that im lacking an injector pulse when cranking and not starting. I cant see any activity on my i1/i2/i3/i4 outputs. Is there another input needed by the ecu other than the igf to generate the injector output.
Has anyone see this behaviour before ?

Any help gratefully appreciated

grayboots
grayboots

fixed

Post by grayboots »

Just to draw a line under thism the fault was in the ECU. One of the capacitors had leaked over IGF track on the PCB and when cleaned up, under a microscope it was possible to see a small break in the track.
I changed all of the capacitors, jumped the broken track and its worked 100% ever since.

Return to “Electrical”