Proud owner of my first Mr2 mk1 - But have a couple of problems

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

smyvy

Re: Proud owner of my first Mr2 mk1 - But have a couple of problems

Post by smyvy »

More rust found. This could be the end for me as I have zero welding skills.

Just went to get coolant flushed and they have said that just under the radiator is really bad and needs sorting. So the rust situation is pretty much the whole bottom of the car. For me this seems like an impossible job I think I maybe in over my head.

I'm going to hold off for a bit but I may need to sell it as spares or repairs.

Wish the previous owner hadn't just painted or rust sealant and got an MOT doesn't do this car any justice!
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

You might aswell have a crack at doing the welding yourself a half decent second hand welder can be bought for around £200. So I you can pull it off you've learnt a new skill and saved a mk1 from the scrappy and worst case you can break the car and sell on the welder. Have a look on YouTube at some welding tutorials they should give you a rough idea what to do.
smyvy

Post by smyvy »

I'd love to give it a crack myself but I live in flats so the car is in a car park and have nowhere to work on it.

Before purchasing I checked the MOT history and it did have these failures:
Reason(s) for failure
- Nearside Front Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
- Offside Front Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
- Offside Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
- Nearside Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
- Offside Rear Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
- Nearside Rear Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
- Front Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

But as it had passed a couple of months later I assumed all work had been corrected (how wrong I was) it is just a sealant mess!

I have been chatting with a breaker in Wales who has giving me some prices on things I think it requires:

- Brand new sill (thicker then the original,), they are £55 per side.
- U shaped bar under the radiator for £35
- Used radiators for between £40 and £80 (for a very good, probably reconditioned one) depending on condition.

So my other option to save her is to purchase these parts and get them fitted at the bodywork garage. I've got her booked in for a full inspection this week so will know the full extend of the rust/rot this week.

I really hope she can be save cause it was a dream car for me!
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

I think I'd be looking at the station that motd it a d maybe reporting to vosa as that fail list sounds excessive and surerly couldn't have been missed by a bit of sealant and seal.
janders1993

Post by janders1993 »

wow that sounds like a lot of work.

Gunna keep my eye on this one as im new to the Mk1 world as well and some useful tips flying around!
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

smyvy wrote:I'd love to give it a crack myself but I live in flats so the car is in a car park and have nowhere to work on it.

Before purchasing I checked the MOT history and it did have these failures:
Reason(s) for failure
- Nearside Front Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
- Offside Front Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
- Offside Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
- Nearside Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
- Offside Rear Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
- Nearside Rear Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
- Front Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

But as it had passed a couple of months later I assumed all work had been corrected (how wrong I was) it is just a sealant mess!

I have been chatting with a breaker in Wales who has giving me some prices on things I think it requires:

- Brand new sill (thicker then the original,), they are £55 per side.
- U shaped bar under the radiator for £35
- Used radiators for between £40 and £80 (for a very good, probably reconditioned one) depending on condition.

So my other option to save her is to purchase these parts and get them fitted at the bodywork garage. I've got her booked in for a full inspection this week so will know the full extend of the rust/rot this week.

I really hope she can be save cause it was a dream car for me!

That's pretty much what mine is lie at the moment. You may not know the full extent of the work until they start to take apart. The issue with mine is the captive nuts being rusty and likely to snap out of the chassis.

If you want a guy to look it over, my mechanic is very trustworthy, apart from when he went off and did other things for a few years, he has looked after my cars for more than 20 years.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
smyvy

Post by smyvy »

Tiamat where is your mechanic based?

Its painful to to a car I brought just sitting there! Want to get it out whilst the roads are dry!
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Mechanic is based just outside of Hailsham. I appreciate its a bit of distance but he has some experience of dealing with these cars (I have had mine for over 13 years).
I am going to live forever, or die trying!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”