[Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo big brake covertion

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Race Idiot

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo big brake covertion

Post by Race Idiot »

pbmr2 wrote:

Did you use their solid discs too? how do they behave compared to vented ones in your experience?

Really I'm after a kit with lighter bells and calipers, larger isn't really the aim.

The discs are vented on the wms kit

He was saying at some point that he was looking at discs with lighter bells, but never heard anything about it. I'd be interested tbh for more unsprung weight off.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

I've got standard rev 2 caliper with carbotechs pads and standard discs up front a d black diamond predator pads and standard discs on back. Fully flushed with new fluid and mlr braided lines.
I've been on track for 15mins at a time at combe and never had fade once and I believe this is a great combo for on road too.

People warned me bout sticking different lads on the back but it handles and brakes very well.

I would insist on using braided lines too. Gives a better feel when braking and helps with the fade problem.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

paulharry wrote:.......... snip
Wheels and tyres first then the brakes

in all honesty I'd suggest looking at brakes first to get sizes of what's out there and what you want to fit (eventually). Opposed piston calipers are a lot wider than the stock units and it'd be a right downer to get some nice wheels and then 6 months later find out your new BBK calipers stick out too far and catch the wheel
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Just a theory but generally bigger brakes are suited to heavier cars ie. Lambos which are capable of much higher speeds and require the additional heat dissipation. Same goes for the Micra brakes - a K11 Micra is about 800kg so probably uses tiny bottlecap discs (and probably drums on the rear?) Our MR2's only weigh 1300kg ish (if not less) so are not exactly heavy cars by modern standards.

Also with Lamborghinis, R35, Ferrari etc. there is a certain requirement to go a little overkill on specs, such as 400mm carbon ceramic brakes, 8 pot calipers and floating discs etc. which will generally never come into their own on the road - however the customer is expecting a car which offers the best of all the available performance parts and pays a premium for the privilege. I'd hazard a guess that a lot of it is brand image, although they are obviously race cars for the road so I'm not entirely discounting the purpose of these parts.

I bought my MR2 already fitted with 4-pot front calipers and they are epic, but I noticed a HUGE difference after investing in Yokohama AD08R's. It seems to be increasingly common that owners are driving MR2s on cheap crap tyres and then complain that the car is rubbish. IMO you should start with decent rubber and wheels if you want to get the best from your car :thumleft: (incidentally I'm selling two sets of VERY deep dish Works 17's that'll fit with wide arches if you're interested. Drop me a PM!)

EDIT forgot to mention that my calipers still use standard discs, but custom-size Carbotech pads. Decent pads will change your life :D
Nic

Post by Nic »

This post by a very well respected race car engineer on the Supra forum on the subject is well worth a read.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread ... ost3986902
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo

Return to “Modifications”