KN air filter connection question. Blue or black??

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bentley58

KN air filter connection question. Blue or black??

Post by Bentley58 »

Dear All,

Fitting a new KN kit to Mk1b. Car already had a performance kit if some kind before. This has been removed for the new KN kit. Instructions state blue connection into connector. Thing is....what I believe to be its location already has a black connection in place.

So the blue connection doesn't have a home. Which one do I fit into the denso connection that's been moved and is currently and correctly upside down. Blue or black??

Kind regards,

Richard
Bentley58

Need some guidance if possible

Post by Bentley58 »

Hi All, in relation to the above post. Car is back up running and sounds solid. Just unsure about the connections for the K&N filter. Please see above post, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rich
un1eash

Re: KN air filter connection question. Blue or black??

Post by un1eash »

Blue connector should go to an idle up valve that is activated when there's extra electrical load like turning the fans or lights on, it raises revs by a couple hundred rpm.

The cone like sensor goes into the back of the k&n filter.

The non standard valve bolted on looks like a cold start idle control valve that is used to bypass the wax stat which often fail or take too long to return idle to normal. The other feed from it usally connectors to a piece of pipe and goes into the back of the k&n also.

Do you have a cold start switch inside the car?

From the below picture from my old car you can see the blue plug connected to the idle up valve relocated to the bottom right. One pipe goes into the top of the throttle body, the other goes to the metal y piece that goes into the back of the k&n that also feeds my gold start valve.
Bentley58

hi

Post by Bentley58 »

Yes, there is a cold switch on the dash.

Richard
Bentley58

So forgive me for asking...

Post by Bentley58 »

So do I now need to find a home for this blue connector?????

Eg. somewhere different than the black one seen in the pic.

I can fit the other connector into the back of the filter, just unsure about the blue one. :roll:
un1eash

Re: KN air filter connection question. Blue or black??

Post by un1eash »

You can live without it, it only raises the rpm at idle a little to help with electrical load.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”