Upgraded Engine Parts

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kaiowas

Re: Upgraded Engine Parts

Post by kaiowas »

That sounds like a whole world of pain for no good reason. Why not just get some parts that are designed to fit together?
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

kaiowas wrote:That sounds like a whole world of pain for no good reason. Why not just get some parts that are designed to fit together?

Agreed.

Sometimes there is a reason why something has never been done...
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

They do all fit together, they are all from the 4AGE.

Found all the bits I need now, so it's all good.

Why be the same as everyone else and try something different.

Paul Woods is known for that :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

To be fair it's usually in the name of a huge power increase, i think what the lads are saying is you're doing a lot of work for really no gain when there are simpler options.
Skaughtto

Post by Skaughtto »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Have you know anyone to do a smallport piston, smallport head, small port fuel rail, bigport injector/inlet manifold, 3-rib block, 20v Exhaust header, build? lol
Are you using the block with the 10.1:1 pistons?

I've heard that stock bigport cams are slightly more aggressive than stock smallport cams, so if you've got a smallport head you may want to consider swapping the cams around.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Skaughtto wrote:[

I've heard that stock bigport cams are slightly more aggressive than stock smallport cams, so if you've got a smallport head you may want to consider swapping the cams around.

Only the earlier blue top cams are more aggressive. It's not much though.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hi mate,

I am the one you have asked for postage about on eBay :)

I've found some smallport pistons in the USA I am using instead of spending £500 on Pistons from this country.

I've read that too recently about big port cams in a smallport head but I've already got aftermarket cams I may be using.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Worth remembering the later blocks (as found on the small port engines, so AE92 on) have oil squirters for the pistons and a bit more strengthening around the crank.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Finding a bare block of that age is very hard. Not even anything for sale on the AE92 owners club I am now subscribed to.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Really?

If you know people in the MR2, AE86, AE92 scene, it's not that hard. I seriously doubt it'd take more than a few weeks to come up with a late spec 4AGE if you put your mind to it.

You want to check out the AE86 scene.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I'm on there too.

None of them run later blocks.

Plus one got no money to buy a block even if one came up.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:

I've found some smallport pistons in the USA I am using instead of spending £500 on Pistons from this country.

Last I knew brand new OEM pistons could be bought from Toyota for just under £60 each.

As for the block, even if you can't source an oil squirter block, at the very least get a 7 rib block. It's the same casting, just without the squirters and your 42mm crank will actually fit. If you get a smallport one you'll even be able to fit your head onto it without having to modify anything. (The small port has an external oil drain from the head to the block, whilst I'm sure you can mix and match if you modify stuff, it'll be a lot less hassle to start with the right bits.)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I've been rest assured the 3-rib block is fine, but thank you for your concern.

As the block and head and all other items will be installed prior to installation, we will be able to see where any modifications will be necessary instead of having to bodge at the last minute.

I'm not going to respond anymore about being told to start with the correct parts, as this is my choice.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:
I'm not going to respond anymore about being told to start with the correct parts, as this is my choice.

I think people are just trying to help. A 3 Rib block is not advisable. It may be okay, but it's the weakest block and crank combination out there. Getting a stronger 7 Rib block is not expensive. As long as the bores are okay and you can get away with honing the bores, then it's a matter of a regrind for the crankshaft and using over size bearings. Cost me £150 to pick up a tired 7 Rib complete engine. I didn't even use the head.

Building an engine properly is going to cost a serious amount, you have to add the machining needed and all that. I had a good friend build mine up for me, I gave him three months free rent, which was still a bargain. I can't remember what the cost of all the gaskets, seals, piston rings, bearings and all that, but it was a fair amount as they were all Toyota OEM parts. Honestly when it comes to this kind of thing, do it once and do it properly.

Even if you do all the assembly yourself, parts will cost a significant amount. Don't cut corners or you will pay for it later.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I've calculated all the costs and my best mate who has been a qualified mechanic for 12 years is doing it for me for a minimal labour cost. He's worked at Volvo, Land Rover and now Vauxhall. He also installed a PW 4AGZE supercharger engine into his MK1A - I'm in safe hands here.

I'm using the 42mm crank, so I don't know where you got the info from that I'm using a weak crank.

There is a chap called Dick Bassom who is now a good friend of mine, who has assured me that the block is fine and it's always the crank and rods that give way first. I'm not using the weaker rods and crank.

The block has been thoroughly checked out and it is in pristine condition. The head has never been touched and this has been verified by measurements and working out it's volume - handy if I was to use the head.

I'm not cutting corners, I am buying correct gaskets and parts. It may seem that I'm cutting corners because I'm using parts from a later engine but I'm just trying to get the most out of it all. The smallport is better for tuning than the bigport - hence why I'm using it. People moan about the lack of tuning for the 4AGE but as soon as an opportunity comes along, negativity all round.
Skaughtto

Post by Skaughtto »

Knowing what the car is going to be used for and what the hp goal is would help to determine if the 3-rib block is ok or not. From what I've read, if you are not installing 272+ cams, increasing the redline, and your hp target is around 180 or below, the older block is adequate.

Fitting the smallport head complicates things a little bit. I'm doing a similar build and am going to use a ported bigport head for simplicity. Right now I'm looking at using a 3-rib block, just because I have a spare, but if I could find a AE92 short block I would probably use that instead.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hi mate,

I'm working with what I have got, hence using a 3-rib block I was given. The interior of that engine is immaculate with the crank all coming in to tolerance. Everything is as it should be.

I'm not increasing the redline, installing 272+ cams, so yes you can see I'm sticking to what it can put up with, which'll be lower than 180
Slawomir

Post by Slawomir »

Hello,

I'm owner of MR2 MK1a with 7RIB 4AGE modified engine (currently 176ps).
This project was based on 4RIB engine with CatCams 267/262 cams, and Hayabusa 99-07 ITB + Keihin 260cc injectors. During the tune-up one of the bearings just didn't make it and engine had to be replaced for stronger 7RIB with OEM 42mm crank and rods. The goal is to use 291/285 cams, Honda S2000 injectors and get somewhere close to 200ps.

IMHO you should think of getting 7RIB engine.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”