[Mk2] [Turbo] Front Fogs blowing fuses!

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alex687

[Mk2] [Turbo] Front Fogs blowing fuses!

Post by alex687 »

I've my mr2 a while, and I bought it as it is, with a non standard front bumper and no front fogs... I finally got round to buying some aftermarket fogs (Raybrigs) and mounting them to the front. I fished out the standard fog light plugs from behind the bumper and (as the fogs I bought already had mr2 fog plugs wired to them) connected the new fogs.

There was also no fog light switch so I fished around behind the dash and found the back of the fog light switch. I figured out which two pins activated the relay and simply connected a wire between them. When I turned the sidelights on and they lit up intiially but after a few seconds a fuse went. So I replaced the fuse and tried again... nothing happened. I then looked at all the fuses (because I don't know what does what) in the drivers footwell and there was a 30A fuse that had gone also. Looking at google images, it was labelled PWR I think.

Anyway I replaced this too and tried the same procedure again. The fogs came on and stayed on for as long as I had the switch connected. So I went away happy and came back the next day with some replacement fuses for the ones I'd borrowed, I thought I'd do the same thing again to make sure everything worked before I attached the fogs and wired the switches properly. It kept blowing the fog light fuse again. Also checked that 30A one in the footwell and it looked like it had nearly blown that one too...

I'm far from an expert electrics but I assume something must be shorting out somewhere? But why did they work fine that one time and not the others?! and how on earth do I find where it's shorting?! I'm tempted to just wire up my own separate circuit for the fogs...

Thanks for reading, any help much appreciated
Amebb

hi

Post by Amebb »

Just recheck your wiring making sure you have no shorts etc..... are you using a relay to control your fog lights ??
'Honest, seriously, this wont hurt a bit ..... there you go........ 5h1t!!! he's dead!!........ Well, you should'nt have touched my Mr2 !!'

Return to “Electrical”