Driver door central locking issue

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

archangel

Driver door central locking issue

Post by archangel »

Hi peeps,

My drivers side door has stopped opening or closing on the central locking (either keyfob or being inside and pressing the door lock/unlock button). The passenger side door still locks/unlocks fine though. Do you think this is a wiring issue in the loom between door and footwell or is it a dead central locking motor in the driver door?

Thanks
Odin_S

Re: Driver door central locking issue

Post by Odin_S »

It's most probably the locking door mech, each door has its own.

1. Its door card off,
2. Carefully taking off the plastic clips which hold the door handle etc.
if you snap any of the plastic clip, you'll be the position i was in, where I couldn't open the door from the outside (lucky pacfic work had the spare part

3. Unscrew the three large screws which hold the unit in place (where the door latches onto.

This is what it looks like
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-MK ... Swud1W~4l6
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks Odin. I'll pull off the one in there to see which type I need. Saw something about UK and import versions being different.
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

Just fixed mine last Friday, it was a dead wire (split somewhere between the door and foot well) there's only two that it can be (black/yellow - unlock was the busted one in mine. Black/white is the lock one)

When I purchased my two, it never worked but last week decided to take the door card off an have a look. You can test it by either going down the multimeter route or touch a wire into each end's harness

Hope it helps

Edit:woops sorry got carried away didn't read the bit about the passenger side locking remotely ](*,)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”