[Mk2] [Generic] Getting the Electric Aerial to Work

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike

[Mk2] [Generic] Getting the Electric Aerial to Work

Post by Mike »

So, having owned my 2 for 11 years its never had a working electric aerial. I understand its a PITA to get it working is there a guide anywhere?
Its all installed and in one piece it just seems to by a wiring issue. At present its stuck in the down position so I dont get any reception. To be honest even if I could just raise it by hand I think I'd be happy.

Thanks
Nic

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Getting the Electric Aerial to Work

Post by Nic »

I'd start by checking behind the boost carpet to see if the aerial is actually plugged in, if the aerial mast has snapped inside it's possible it's just been unplugged to disable the motor.

This guide should help

http://www.imoc.co.uk/technical/howto/M ... Aerial.pdf
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Mike

Post by Mike »

It's all connected at the aerial end and intact as far as I'm aware (I bought it to replace my old snapped unit). I think the problem is in the wiring behind the stereo. Is there some kind of JDM/MR2 idiosyncracy going on in the wiring?
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

I have the same issue since installing my new stereo...

I believe the problem lies in the ISO lead I'm using. It connects power to the "wrong" remote feed (for an amp for example) and leaves another remote feed disconnected - that's the one the aerial needs to power up!

Worth checking behind the stereo, it could be an easy fix :pray:
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Dont forget to take a look at the circuit board inside the box attached to the aerial mast motor. Some of them get water on the circuit board and don't work.

While you are there... check the aerial motor housing has a drain tube attached that actually goes through the hole in the boot floor otherwise any water that gets passed the aerial cant get out and can cause rust.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Check you are getting the required power at both feeds. Yes 2 live feeds. 1 perm. Via the amp behind passenger side panel behind seat (iirc pink wire) and switched live from stereo
Mike

Post by Mike »

abovetherim wrote:Check you are getting the required power at both feeds. Yes 2 live feeds. 1 perm. Via the amp behind passenger side panel behind seat (iirc pink wire) and switched live from stereo

I bet thats it. A previous owner (for some unknown reason) has bypassed the standard amp driven system and wired a set of 6x9s straight to the head unit. That'll be it. Given how difficult the standard system is known to be to fiddle with I guess I wont be having a working electric aerial.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Good luck, can be a right pain fixing stereo wiring that someone else has dicked about with.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Mike wrote:
abovetherim wrote:Check you are getting the required power at both feeds. Yes 2 live feeds. 1 perm. Via the amp behind passenger side panel behind seat (iirc pink wire) and switched live from stereo

I bet thats it. A previous owner (for some unknown reason) has bypassed the standard amp driven system and wired a set of 6x9s straight to the head unit. That'll be it. Given how difficult the standard system is known to be to fiddle with I guess I wont be having a working electric aerial.

If you find the amp behind the side trim passenger side behind the seat, you will find pink in and out of the amp and just join them.

Return to “ICE and Security”