[Mk2] [Turbo] Link G4+ Storm - advice please!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chumbaside

[Mk2] [Turbo] Link G4+ Storm - advice please!

Post by Chumbaside »

I'm looking to upgrade from my Power FC to a Link ECU, but I'm struggling to get definitive information from any dealer in the UK... Fensport have been really helpful and given me loads of information, but compared to other dealers their pricing seems way over the top for the ECU itself!

Whilst I work through the various options, a couple of questions keep coming up:

1. Plugin or wire-in? I've been told that the plug-in version of the G4 is based on the Storm but has fewer analog i/o than the wire-in version. Can anyone on here confirm that to be the case?

2. For those that are running the wire-in, did you create a completely new loom or attach the Link at the ECU plug end of the standard loom?

3. Are ancillaries like speedo, rev counter, clocks etc all supported?

I'm getting a lot of conflicting advice from what I believed to be trusted sources, so thought I'd do a bit of crowd-sourcing from you chaps to get some real-world experiences!

Cheers,

Mark
MR2 Turbo Boy

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Link G4+ Storm - advice please!

Post by MR2 Turbo Boy »

Hi bud,

I have a Link G4 Extreme.

I know what you mean about prices - someone on here (a trader), charged me £100.00 to get a CAN Dash cable, from New Zealand - it took 3 .5 weeks, ok so far not to bad - BUT the cable only cost me, from a Link supplier - £35.00 and only took just over a week.
DO you homework..:)

1. Plug in - it is the Extreme.
2. I opted for a new loom - from ecu to cabin.
3. All are supported.

P.M if you want any further information, chat.

Jon
Black Light 93

Post by Black Light 93 »

I've currently got the link g4 storm wire in version and have been playing around alot with it recently.

As to whether link is better than the others or not I couldn't say as mine came attached to the engine so never experienced any others.

2. I think you just get the link ecu plug plus a couple ft of wiring on the end. You can either chop it and integrate it into stock loom or do a completely new loom.

3. All features are there depending on the model you go for and what else you need to drive. I.e. driving a rev counter takes up one auxiliary out port from my ecu.

If you want to know anything about the SW or ecu just let me know.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Chumbaside wrote:I'm looking to upgrade from my Power FC to a Link ECU, but I'm struggling to get definitive information from any dealer in the UK... Fensport have been really helpful and given me loads of information, but compared to other dealers their pricing seems way over the top for the ECU itself!

Whilst I work through the various options, a couple of questions keep coming up:

1. Plugin or wire-in? I've been told that the plug-in version of the G4 is based on the Storm but has fewer analog i/o than the wire-in version. Can anyone on here confirm that to be the case?

2. For those that are running the wire-in, did you create a completely new loom or attach the Link at the ECU plug end of the standard loom?

3. Are ancillaries like speedo, rev counter, clocks etc all supported?

I'm getting a lot of conflicting advice from what I believed to be trusted sources, so thought I'd do a bit of crowd-sourcing from you chaps to get some real-world experiences!

Cheers,

Mark

why are you wanting to change ecus , just out of interest ? I presume you have already paid to get the power fc mapped ?
sky-net

Post by sky-net »

He says in his sale thread that want to control external options.

I guess if a datalogit module should have helped that way.
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

Martin F wrote:

why are you wanting to change ecus , just out of interest ? I presume you have already paid to get the power fc mapped ?

I have paid to have it mapped but I'm now embarking on a full engine build! It's been on the cards for a while and part of the build involves stripping everything out and starting again...

Hence all my parts (many nearly new) up for sale :thumleft:
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

sky-net wrote:He says in his sale thread that want to control external options.

I really want to run a CANBUS system in the car, open up the options of Digital Dash, data logging etc. That needs a new ECU unfortunately.
sky-net

Post by sky-net »

Chumbaside wrote:
sky-net wrote:He says in his sale thread that want to control external options.

I really want to run a CANBUS system in the car, open up the options of Digital Dash, data logging etc. That needs a new ECU unfortunately.

Yep... That's a higher level management :mrgreen:

Good luck!
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

I have one of the first gen Link G4 Storm a wired in one. So basically the OEM ecu was taken out and the Link G4 box was put in its place.

Read the link below, of what you can expect. Much easier than me typing it out :lol:

One other bonus of the newer Link G4s are they come with 3bar map sensor as standard ( i had to upgrade mine from 2.5bar to 4 bar) and Knock sensor

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Link-G4-Storm ... Swe7BWzdji

You can even have the tacho and speedo sweep on startup, however it well and mileage each time.

Fensport made a loom for me, i'll take pictures when i can
androo007

Post by androo007 »

The rrp of storm is 772 plus vat.
MR2 Turbo Boy

Post by MR2 Turbo Boy »

The Extreme - you can buy for £995 incl. VAT. Look around

Return to “Modifications”