Diy Car ramps

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

forgez

ramps revisited

Post by forgez »

Hello all, newbie to the forums here.

Sorry for the thread necro, but I wanted to chime in on the whole DIY ramp thing, and see if I can clear some confusion and/or answer questions for people.

I am the guy who built the "300zx" ramps on the corvettec3.ca site. I am happy to report that the ramps continue to serve me very well years after their construction; and while there are some things I would change if I had to build them over again, they most definitely fall into the "why didn't I do this 15 years ago" category. They work THAT well.
If anyone wants details or information, please comment and I will do my best to answer :)
alanmr2turbo

Re: Diy Car ramps

Post by alanmr2turbo »

hmmmm interesting. I'm guessing that wood is not strong enough to support a car yet a lot of houses around the world are made from prefabed wooden panels :-k

I guess people shouldn't be living in those especially 3 storey ones, just imagine how much weight the bottom storey is carrying :lol:

Lets not even mention the scaffolding made from bamboo. :lol:
forgez

Post by forgez »

Funny you should mention that alanmr2turbo; the ramps are constructed almost identically to conventional wooden house framing. Just not quite as tall :)
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

DIY/Car ramps.

Looks like a classic example of words that do not belong together.

Mind you, you never hear anyone complain about them failing while they were working under the car...
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

What about old railways using sleepers they hold up ok. Nothing wrong with it if done properly before steel was mass produced wood was the only readily available material to build with. The floors in our homes are wood and carry huge loads in small spots.

The strength comes from the design element

You could add safety rails etc but if a person can't drive it on them then they shouldn't be making them in the first place. Commercial drive on ramps do not necessarily have guard rails either.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

mulaz wrote:Going to make some car ramps before the winter so that i can get good access at the underside.
i was thinking along the lines of large ramps made from angle iron,
but then i came accross these wooden ramps at http://corvettec3.ca/ramps.htm
and thought that i would share this to you all.

Image :thumleft:

Holy siht thats nutts ... do kinda like it though :wink:
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

I guess wood isn't too bad, but chipboard like shown in the pic? That really is another example of Darwinism.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

aussieGT wrote:I guess wood isn't too bad, but chipboard like shown in the pic? That really is another example of Darwinism.

Hahahhahaha .. agreed ... i do like red neck solutions to problems though :lol:
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

I use trench blocks

http://www.jewson.co.uk/building-materi ... 5-x-300mm/

300 wide so cant rock and can timberlock them together if need if stacking 2 course.... interlocking also..... :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

That looks pretty sweet rich but i do like a red neck solution :lol:
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

Bricklayer by trade so they are easy to get hold off :thumleft: :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Yeah brick would have been better :D
forgez

DIY ramps

Post by forgez »

Sorry for the nechro again, but I thought I would post some updates on the DIY ramps....

Ramps are still going strong :) No cracks, breaks, splinters, or failures to report yet; and they have safely held several different vehicles. Having said that, I would like to point out that they DO have to stored properly (IE: covered and out of the weather). One of my "drive-on" sections (the removable piece that joins the ground to the elevated ramp) was accidentally left exposed to the winter, and is now slightly twisted. It still works, but I will be replacing it with a new one.
So, if you plan on building something like this, but do not have a covered area to store them, you should strongly reconsider.

Happy wrenching, chaps!
ulysess1966

Wooden ramps

Post by ulysess1966 »

Been using a solid set of wooden ramps made from surplus decking for about 10 years, but I wouldn't trust something hollow made out of chipboard!
2mad

Re: Wooden ramps

Post by 2mad »

ulysess1966 wrote:Been using a solid set of wooden ramps made from surplus decking for about 10 years, but I wouldn't trust something hollow made out of chipboard!

Cool .. and chipboard hell no [-X

I do love redneck fixes for problems but stay safe :thumleft:
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

it's only the outer casing that OSB board which in its fell is a hell of a lot stronger the 'chipboard' LOL Try putting a 4lb or even a 10lb lump hammer though a 25mm OSB board :lol:

The inner frame looks like 8" x 2"

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”