[Mk2] [NA] What's been done to my MR2 (noob questions!)

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RenwickCustomer

[Mk2] [NA] What's been done to my MR2 (noob questions!)

Post by RenwickCustomer »

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 93 MR2 NA, lovely car to drive and I'm very happy with it. I just have a couple of questions about a couple of things I haven't been able to find on my own:

- There's a relay that just is wired into the front of the car. I can't quite see what it does/what it's supposed to do but I don't know if anyone knows what kind of thing it could be? I know this is a bit of a how long is a piece of string question!

- The kickwell space has what I'm guessing is the kickwell ECU in it. I can see one of the plugs in unplugged, don't suppose anybody knows if that should be like that? I think this might be an aftermarket alarm/remote start etc that's been installed, some confirmation would be amazing though!

-There is a noticable speaker whine from the speakers that seems to be related to the power steering, as moving the steering wheel makes the whine louder or quieter. I know it's usually a case of grounding things to make this work but I honestly have no idea where to start with that.

Many thanks for everyone's help with this in advance! Please find below a link to an album of related pictures:

imgurDOTcom/a/ZQqzb (won't let me post a URL!)
SonicSW20

Re: [Mk2] [NA] What's been done to my MR2 (noob questions!)

Post by SonicSW20 »

Looks like a pretty badly installed aftermarket alarm system.
RenwickCustomer

Re: [Mk2] [NA] What's been done to my MR2 (noob questions!)

Post by RenwickCustomer »

I would say you're right, some googling of the product number (should have done this before) seems to point it at a wintec alarm/remote start system, which I just found the keyfob for in a load of bits. No idea whether those are good or bad and the install looks horrible.

Worth trying to get sorted and working or better off just stripping the whole thing? I know zero about aftermarket alarms!

Return to “Electrical”