Intercooler fan on constantly - Help with wiring, pic included

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mr2Owner

Re: Intercooler fan on constantly - Help with wiring, pic included

Post by Mr2Owner »

Ok, I have the battery fully charged and the car can start so I double checked some things now.

With 12v forced onto pin2 of the Ecu the fan still runs and the dash bulb remains unlit.
When I turn the key to accessory 2 position just before starting, the fan dash light is now not displayed. I believe it should be displayed until I start the car?

If I leave the connector block closest to the gauge bulb disconnected, (pictured in above post) and turn the key to accessory 2 position just before starting the car, the dash fan symbol is now displayed permanently and goes out after I then start the car.

It looks as though giving pin2 a 12v supply has caused the dash fan symbol to not be displayed when the the key in in the ignition 2 position just before starting.

The fan remains running continuously in all these various scenarios I described.

Does any of this help us narrow down the problem? Seems more complicated to me now than before lol :)
Mr2Owner

Post by Mr2Owner »

Ahh folks, don't abandon me now I've gone this far :lol:

@Mr2magic - I tried all the tests suggested. Do you have any more tips or advice on my findings. Canyou confirm if I tested the correct pin on the gauge connector block for the fan bulb symbol? I'd like to test this pin to determine if I have 12v from the gauge fuse to the pin, but I'm not sure which pin it is, it might be different on my Jdm than the Usdm dash connector?

Also, what do you tink of the following:
Connecting 12v directly to Pin2 of the fan Ecu didn't stop the fan running.
And the fan symbol doesn't stay lit on the dash with just the ignition turned on and the engine not started. The symbol flickers on/off in half a second when I turn the key to ignition on.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

No worries...I'll get back to you as soon as i have time....patience young padawan :-)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Just fit a switch ... if your on it switch it on ... if your not dont ... 4 years no problems ... it dont do much anyhoo =; .. and i logged :wink:
Mr2Owner

Post by Mr2Owner »

Think I might have to give up on solving this to the oem spec. Might just leave it as is at running constantly or maybe wire in a switch as suggested. I think i've gone as far as I can with it without further knowledge :(
Mr2Owner

Post by Mr2Owner »

I've given up on this particular issue, I put the wires back as original at the fan Ecu, (the 2 wires I joined to force 12v onto the wire that was missing its 12v).

I might decide to put a switch into the car at some stage to switch the fan on/off as suggested by a previous poster. Pity, as I enjoyed trouble shooting this issue with the advice given in the thread and was sure I was very close to fixing it but nevermind :)

Return to “Electrical”