Road Condition or Car

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Road Condition or Car

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Before I changed jobs 3.5 years ago, I used the '2 for five years covering 130k and it never seemed to bother me that much.

Now since I've been using it on and off from January, I've noticed it's massively uncomfortable using it. The suspension hasn't changed since, I've put on the MK2 turbo rear ARB, superflexed both ARBs and the standard bushes are on the rest of the suspension.

Could this be just down the roads deteriorating since the car was off the road between 2014 and early 2016 or should I look at my bushes?
pistol pete

Re: Road Condition or Car

Post by pistol pete »

You....
You are getting older ;)..
I used to love nothing more than driving my mr2s to work..
I drove one yesterday for work. Couldn't wait to get back in my 530d... ;)
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

And yeah.. Roads are much worse
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Guess I'm used to the floaty handling of my 206 HDI GTI
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

What condition are your tyres in ?
mikeijay

Post by mikeijay »

My ride felt really strange last week. Going over speed bumps was like hitting a brick wall and where I live in SW London you need a ladder on stilts with a jetpack to climb them.....

Checked tyre pressure and they were all running 48PSI WTF!!!!!! I have no idea how?

Strangely my Qashqai which should be 33/30 PSI was also running 50 when it came back from its very first annual service at Nissan the other week. I thought it was a computer glitch until I phoned the garage and they were like "GET BACK HERE NOW!" You would think Nissan engineers would know what tyre pressures to use! :-k ](*,)
"...But we can still own these old MR2s & feel hopeful because every line of this car is still pointing to an affirmative future"
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Tyres are all good with correct pressures.

I recently had to replace my passenger side shock as it was FUBAR but didn't replace the other side as it was absolutely fine.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

If your suspension is getting on for thirty years old, I'd reckon it all needs replacing, bushes and all.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Only thing on suspension that is 26 yrs old are the bushes.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I think when cars get to around this age it's worth changing the lot. My AE86 is 31 years old. I'm just in the process of getting a bespoke TEIN coilover setup made for it in Japan, but I will be poly bushing it all as well.

I'm sure it'll be like a new car then and the vagueness, poor ride and handling will be a thing of the past.

I also think that compared to more modern cars you notice the crudeness of older cars suspension setup. The trouble is my GT86 has a well sorted coilover setup and it makes the difference quite striking.

I really think coilovers and decent ones with sensible spring rates can totally transform how a car feels. I know there isn't so much available for the MR2 out there, but there must be options.

There's bound to be some wear and play in your bushes, they are ancient after all.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”