[Mk2] [NA] Wont Crank after engine change

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Aub212

[Mk2] [NA] Wont Crank after engine change

Post by Aub212 »

Hi All,
New here so sorry if this has already been covered previously.
I bought a 1992 MR2 NA Project, someone had removed the engine with the idea of doing the v6 swap, (removing the engine was as far as they got)
I bought a 1995 NA to go in as its all i could get hold of within my budget, and a 1995 ECU, fitted it and plugged it in, and NOTHING. wont crank.
I can make it crank by exciting the stater motor but NO fuel and NO spark, dont know if the immobilizer is at fault or something else, someone help please, no clue where to go now ???
bishop

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Wont Crank after engine change

Post by bishop »

did you get the key/lock set from the sae car you got the ECU as it does sound like and immobiliser issue. Although without seeing just how much work was needed before hand and how much has been done its a stab in the dark really.
a 92 will put you on a rev1/rev2 engine, a 95 will put you on a rev3 or more. did you check to see if the ECU plug needed re-pinning to suit?
Aub212

Post by Aub212 »

no just got the ecu, didnt think ide need the key and lock set,
the ecu didnt need repining as its a rev 3 ecu for a rev 3 engine, so i didnt even check a wiring diagram. is there any way of reprogramming the immobilizer ?
bishop

Post by bishop »

Did you use the loom from the '95 car? if not you are correct that the ECU matches the engine but the wiring loom won't match the ECU, which is where you may need to re-pin the ECU plug

don't think you can re-program the imobiliser, you could re program your key if you could get a key from the car you got the ecu from (then get a key cutter to copy across from the chip).

But I'm not sure the Rev 1/2 versions had the immobiliser pickup around the key barrel that you would need?
Aub212

Post by Aub212 »

the engine came from one 95' car and the ecu came from a different 95' car so the pins should be correct ?

i dont think my 92' car has an chipped key, so i cant see how that would cause a issue with engaging an immobilizer and not allowing the engine to crank/start. or is the ecu going to be looking for a chipped key and therefore not allowing the engine to crank ?

the only plugs that concern me loom wise is the passenger body loom, as its a 92 body loom but a 95 engine loom and the number of wires going in the 92 end dont match the number coming out the 95 end if that makes any sense.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Rev3 ECU weren't chipped to the key so no problems there.

Your problem lies with the passenger loom. Find a REV3 loom and make your life easy.
bishop

Post by bishop »

alanmr2turbo wrote:Rev3 ECU weren't chipped to the key so no problems there.

Your problem lies with the passenger loom. Find a REV3 loom and make your life easy.

Good to know about there being no immobiliser/key issue on the rev 3 then.

but as Alan stated the probable problem here is the body loom

Return to “Electrical”