www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [NA] Aerial options.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> ICE and Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk

Feedback Score: 9

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [NA] Aerial options. Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I used to use a modified honda s2000 type on the Supra with a booster which was pretty meh in terms of reception. I'm just wondering if there is any options similar for the MR2?
rev3gtturbo

Feedback Score: 1

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

If it is an aerial on the rear wing, are you saying the aerial extends/retracts fully but the signal quality is rubbish.

My old MR2 had a bad earth that I did not know about until the radio reception improved after a car bodywork restoration. Did not need a signal booster.

If the aerial assembly is worn out, the parts are available but watch out for the part numbers as there was more than one standard aerial on a mk2 (and I don't mean due to the difference in rear wing shapes for the different boot lid spoilers).

Just as easy (and as cheap) to go into a car audio shop and get a generic electric aerial fitted. It will need the oem aerial connector to be replaced with the modern standard connector. Way cheaper than a new electric aerial assembly from Toyota these days.

While your at it check the aerial water drain hose is connected to the aerial assembly and actually passes through the drain hole in the boot floor. (I have seen some aerials where the drain hose just dangles on the boot floor under the carpet which will eventually rot the boot floor somewhere).
craig
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 141

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Get rid of stock 80's crappy extend-able mast, smooth aerial hole and go DAB on windscreen.
acf8181
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev3

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Never had any issues with standard aerial myself.
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

acf8181 wrote:

I did.

It extends 10ft and looks sh*te [Laughing]
kirk

Feedback Score: 9

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

rev3gtturbo wrote:
If it is an aerial on the rear wing, are you saying the aerial extends/retracts fully but the signal quality is rubbish.

I should of been a bit clearer. I was looking for alternatives to the huge flag pole. I used to dig the old 90s aerial but it's not my thing any more.

RedMRČ wrote:
Get rid of stock 80's crappy extend-able mast, smooth aerial hole and go DAB on windscreen.

This is what I was talking about. [thumleft]

Any recommendations?
acf8181
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev3

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

RedMRČ wrote:
acf8181 wrote:

I did.

Well, each to own, looks in fitting with age of car to me! (worst is people retrofitting sharkfin type things, now THAT looks awful!)
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

acf8181 wrote:
RedMRČ wrote:
acf8181 wrote:

I did.

Well, each to own, looks in fitting with age of car to me! (worst is people retrofitting sharkfin type things, now THAT looks awful!)

Yeah, I nearly did that, but glad I decided against it. I've a smoothed aerial hole and DAB aerial in the front windscreen.
Nic

Feedback Score: 5

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=160677
pbmr2
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 10

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Sorry for the old thread revival.

Have had a new headunit in the car about a month and am quite dissapointed with the DAB signal. It's so poor that only the bluetooth mode to play from a phone is used.
When parked up the DAB is great and works very well but as soon as the car is moving the signal is useless.

Fitted a powered (from the head unit) DAB aerial to the rear quater light. Didn't want the ugly thing stuck to the front windscreen or to remove the dash for a neat install.

Is this just par for the DAB course and the real reason that they never turned off the analogue signal like they had planned? Or is there a way to get better results?
madbasshunter
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 96

1991 Toyota MR2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

pbmr2 wrote:
Sorry for the old thread revival.

Have had a new headunit in the car about a month and am quite dissapointed with the DAB signal. It's so poor that only the bluetooth mode to play from a phone is used.
When parked up the DAB is great and works very well but as soon as the car is moving the signal is useless.

Fitted a powered (from the head unit) DAB aerial to the rear quater light. Didn't want the ugly thing stuck to the front windscreen or to remove the dash for a neat install.

Is this just par for the DAB course and the real reason that they never turned off the analogue signal like they had planned? Or is there a way to get better results?

Have you mounted the aerial the right way as DAB transmitters are vertically polarised so your aerial should be vertical

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic [Shocked]
pbmr2
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 10

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Now you mention it, no. It's horizontal. Hmm best get the hair drier out and remount it up the right way.

Thanks.
Odin_S

Feedback Score: 12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

My DAB aerial with my Kenwood 9320dab is mounted horizontal, top left of my windscreen. No problems picking up signals in London or Manchester when i travel to visit folk.

DAB is still in its infancy, there are some places when I'm driving where the signal goes crappy or is lost. Thankfully it's not too often.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> ICE and Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: