Chris' Rev4 TRD Turbo...

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chris_9011

Re: Chris' Rev4 TRD Turbo...

Post by Chris_9011 »

After getting the car ready with new brakes, etc as per my last update... I enjoyed 6 days up in the Highlands of Scotland with the MR2OC on the annual Highland Drive...

here are a few photos of the car I took along the way:

wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

really like the last one

what the heck was your dad up to breaking screens, these dads phft boy racers!!!! :lol:
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

wilkie senior wrote:what the heck was your dad up to breaking screens, these dads phft boy racers!!!! :lol:

stone through the open t-bar onto the inside of the rear window shattered the glass... don't get these problems with tintops...

...although you have to watch the stones coming through the open side window at 70mph, smashing your glass lens of your Ray-Bans which in turn causes a deep cut just under your eye...

:shock:

...still, could have been worse, the stone could have gone through my eye!!!
Last edited by Chris_9011 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

I was wondering how he broke the rear screen!!

Oh yes i saw your post on FB re the glasses, probably a good job you were doing your Tom Cruise impression with the glasses, or you could have more serious injury to your eye
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

Time for a bit of an overdue update,

after the highland drive, my car had taken a bit of a beating it seems...

the windscreen decided to crack on the passenger side, there was a small stonechip just in the black section that surrounds the glass, I didn't think much of it at the time, and it seemed to last the entirety of the drive around Scotland, as well as the trip home, and also a week or 2 after getting home. A week before my MOT was due, typically, there was a cold night, followed by a particularly warm morning which caused it to crack significantly

The race was on to get it fixed and MOT'ed before the rapidly approaching JapFest... bad news, the windscreen wasn't coming into stock until the 15th May (the day before JapFest on the 16th). What could I do, the windscreen needed doing, and that was the only date they could manage...

I had to find a 'sympathetic' MOT tester who would look past the windscreen and do the job anyway... luckily one of my work colleagues knew of such a place and the car was swiftly booked in. Of course it passed with flying colours, with the only advisory being a crack 'outside the swept area' :blush:

So, the day before JapFest, the windscreen was fitted, which made it all perfect...

During my checks on the car in preparation for Japfest, I noticed that the turbo intake hose had a small split in it...

I decided to remove the system and use some duck tape to at least provide a temporary solution to the repair whilst I was on the hunt for a silicon replacement. Unfortunately, upon removing it from the car, it was more brittle than I had expected, and unfortunately started to fall apart in my hands. I made the decision to try as best as I could to 'bodge' it together else I wouldn't be going to the show.

Mmy hopes of finding one at JapFest on one of the stalls proved pointless, I know that I'd bought hoses from that show in the past, but not one stall was selling them - Samco were there, but didn't have anything that was suitable

Anyway, the car made it to JapFest and back, seemingly without any problem.

A few days went by, and the car stood stationary as I had the use of the OH's BMW. I looked at the system a few days later and noticed that my 'bodge' job hadn't really stood the test of a 160 mile round trip. The elbow had certainly seen better days:

:rolleyes: :blush:

...and whilst removing the system to get at the 90° elbow, the HKS mushroom decided to snap in 2 at the join... bu88er!!

Anyway, there was a second hand A'Pexi system on IMOC for £65 delivered of which I snapped up to replace the complete unit. This arrived today and was duly cleaned up in the parts wash at work, I used a compressed airline to clean the filter out, and then I had some old Pipercross filter oil lying around the garage, so I re-oiled the filter also (whether it needed doing or not is debatable)... I reassembled, and then fitted it to the car

disassembled, cleaned the metal sections with the parts wash, and the cone filter with an air line...

re-assembled with the rain tray also fitted, and with new M6 stainless bolts

...and fitted

Old duff HKS system:

New(ish) A'Pexi system:
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

Blimey, it's been a while...

Not an awful amount of information to add, but there are one or two bits to note...

firstly, I bought a brand new Apexi filter for the induction kit, as the original one was starting to look a little past it. I also made the mistake of giving it a clean, and an oil... only to realise that you're not meant to oil Apexi filters:

The next thing was the fitting of my Apexi AVCR, after having this in the boot of my car for the best part of a year, I finally managed to get it booked into Rogue for Matt to get it fitted, and for Patrick to wire it all in and get it set-up...

the AVCR was set to - off (around 0.7bar), 1 bar and 1.2 bar...

...the was all done in preparation for my trip to:

...SANTA POD

...where I managed these times:

...not a bad effort for my first ever time on any 1/4 mile strip. My third pass I missed the first to second gear change, hence the slow time, which I was very disappointed in myself for

Anywho... I'm booking into Surrey Rolling Road on the 20th to see what all my engine modifications have done to the power output of the car since the last time I took it to them, watch this space for updated power figures.

One more thing to note...
After taking my daughter to the dentist in the MR2 on Friday as my wife was using the BMW, there was a nasty grinding sound coming from the front offside corner, having to nurse it home and get it up on axle stands for further investigation, I found it had a bent droplink, which had spun the coilover round... this in turn was causing the coilover droplink bracket to foul on the inside edge of the wheel.

Old vs new:

Luckily, there's always a spare part lying around either my house, or my Dad's house so on saturday I changed the bent droplink over to a used, but fully functioning, second hand part... I also cleaned everything up to look as good as to new as I could get it.

I also had to respray the scored part of the back of my wheel...

At least I now know why it was pulling slightly to the left... :roll:
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Great use of playing cards there!! :lol: :clap:
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
almeida1234

Post by almeida1234 »

Chris
Were those discs zinc coated?
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

almeida1234 wrote:Were those discs zinc coated?

Yes, zinc plated, and yellow passivated... not so much anymore though once the pads wear the plating off the binding sections of the disc
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

pistol pete wrote:That is stunning..............

What he said!!
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

Rolling Road...

...back to Surrey Rolling Road to compare my before and after results

Last time the car was on the dyno, it made 244.2bhp & 206ft.lbs of torque...

not a bad result considerring it was running stock boost, an induction kit, a stainless exhaust and a Blitz BOV

Since that result, I've since fitted an Apexi Induction kit, an XS Power side mount intercooler with larger diameter pipework, an Apexi AVCR boost controller set to 1.2bar, and given it a good service...

Now it runs...
...293.6bhp & 255ft.lbs of torque (if I've read it properly) at 1.2bar of boost

That was the first run... unfortunately on the second and third runs there was a boost spike (went up to 1.35bar on both occasions) caused by heat soak from the turbo that lead to fuel cut at 218bhp... but I'm pretty happy with the first run... just wish it would have edged over that 300bhp mark

Hey-ho... something to work on for the next time...

JLW

Post by JLW »

This Car is beautiful mate, going to keep an eye on this as you put your own stamp onto it :D
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

JLW wrote:This Car is beautiful mate, going to keep an eye on this as you put your own stamp onto it :D

thanks, really appreciate it... although apart from a few cosmetic items that need a small amount of attention, I think the car is pretty much finished as it stands...

...I've just collected my next project over the weekend, and will keep folk updated as I proceed with it
androo007

Post by androo007 »

That car IMHO is the pinnicle of the mr2. The best of the best. Don't change a thing.... it's delicious!
MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

That is a lovely car, I must agree.

Is it just me or does the front look very Porsche like in that last picture?

Return to “Member Profiles”