Superedition project part 1 of 3 completed ~ Pic Heavy ~

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

autobody
Premium Member

Re: Superedition project part 1 of 3 completed ~ Pic Heavy ~

Post by autobody »

Nice pic Ben. Does look good with the standard alloys. So I've decided to get mine refurb and keep them for winter months. Also I've just spent some more money on these wheels so no going back... on order is new wider dish for the rears. Only by another inch. Which will make the wheels 7.5j from the back and the extra inch lip will look good. Not sure what it will do for handling but I suspect it will not feel as good as having same alloy width as the front.
Ben

Post by Ben »

autobody wrote: Not sure what it will do for handling but I suspect it will not feel as good as having same alloy width as the front.

Purists may disagree, but I think you'll be ok. Does yours have an LSD? Mine was always pretty tail-happy with 185-section tyres all round, I certainly never experienced any understeer, so you may well get away with a staggered setup.
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I drove Mark Mailer's SE around Rockingham with wider tyres at the rear. It was a terrible under steering dog, this was because he put on MK3 wheels with the tyre sizes they come with.

The MK1 tends to understeer anyway but if you run wider tyres at the rear, it will make the situation noticably worse.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

I was planning to use the current 195s on the wider wheels on the back (they are currently 6.5) Will see how I get on. If it's not right will go back to original setup.

But looks wise, I think the cars look better with wider lips on the rear but of course handling will be effected.
Last edited by autobody on Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

Another job done completed. The Recaro driver seat has been fixed.

Looked like this:

Material was taken from the back seats of a Toyota Hilux which I had collected a number of years ago. Same material as current seat but a lot less wear. Colour is the same but you can just tell which material is newer.

Now:

Happy with the end result, which means the interior is now complete.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Is the new material not on the wrong way around at the front of the seat base?

On the original base the cloth is darker on the left on the rear section and darker on the right on the front section, giving a kind of chequer effect when combined with the seat back. On your recovered base you have the dark colour all the way along the left hand side.
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

I see what you are saying. So had to double check with my old photo of SE seats. And they look like the current set, so maybe that's how they are?

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

autobody wrote:I was planning to use the current 195s on the wider wheels on the back (they are currently 6.5) Will see how I get on. If it's not right will go back to original setup.

But looks wise, I think the cars look better with wider lips on the rear but of course handling will be effected.

7.5" would be better for 195's. 6.5" is a little narrow. I run 7.5" rims with 195's on my AE86.

Great work on the seats. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

Thanks, going to give the seats a clearn tomorrow and get rid of that stain in the middle insert. Then it's ready to go in the car.
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

The seats look awesome!

I have a set of Rev 3 Recaros for my MK2 which need a little help in the same place. I don't suppose you have any material left over? It looks to be a perfect match!!

Here's a closeup:

Here's hoping :pray:

-Mark

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”