Gear Shift Leather Boot Gator Replacement (mk1b)

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mikeijay

Gear Shift Leather Boot Gator Replacement (mk1b)

Post by mikeijay »

Hey Guys

Managed to find another Mr2 after mine went to the garage in the sky 5 years ago.

The only thing that I wasn't too keen on was the aftermarket gear stick that even Snoop Dogg would have been like...."whoa dude?!" :shock:

As the gator leather had perished and was not clipped in I bought a replacement as you can see in the pic. The question is, I saw a guide for the Mk1a that you have to unscrew and clip in. Does the Mk1b have the same set up? I can't quite feel any clips when i run my had along?

Do you have to remove the whole console to get the gator inlace or am I missing something?

Thanks Guys (tried uploading some pics but i'm not trusted enough to post urls ;))

Mikeijay
Boddney

Re: Gear Shift Leather Boot Gator Replacement (mk1b)

Post by Boddney »

When I changed mine I just pulled it sideways a little from each side to disengage the springy metal frame and popped it up through the hole all with the centre consol in place.

Hope that helps fella.
mikeijay

Post by mikeijay »

Thanks Boddney

I'll give it a go!

its been driving me nuts trying to workout how to do it and some of my screws holding in the console look a bit sheerish so I was trying to avoid having to take it off ;)
davidb

Post by davidb »

The mk6 Celica has the same type of fairer with the metal hoop. It also has a plastic stay on the top so it never drops down. Swaps over a treat!
theredbottle

Post by theredbottle »

Does anyone know where you can purchace the retaining clips? I managed to snap mine when replacing the gaiter.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Sadly you have to replace the centre console entirely.

Alternatively you can glue the gaitor back in.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”