[Mk2] [Turbo] Underseat subwoofer

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nathan.z

[Mk2] [Turbo] Underseat subwoofer

Post by nathan.z »

I feel ashamed to admit that other than a pioneer headunit I've never really looked into car audio despite being a musician and having studied sound design at university. Anyway I'm looking into getting some bass into the car and the underseat subs seem perfect. I regularly put things behind the seat so prefer a unit that's hidden away.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I've looked at the Pioneer subs and Kenwood subs. I've seen on forums that some don't fit under the stock MR2 seats so I'm trying to find a suitable one that's active and fits in neatly. I understand these units will never push air quite like a 10 or 12 inch cone but I'm more interested in clarity from the bass.

I plan on removing the rear speakers as they're naff and relying on the front 13cm and tweeters for mids and highs. My Headunit has RCA sub out on the back so it should feed an active sub.
CalMac

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Underseat subwoofer

Post by CalMac »

I had Blaupunkt THB200A subs under the seats of my car a few years back. They've probably been superseded now, but were good for the money back then and at 70W RMS each they made a noticeable difference :thumleft: They were quite chunky though, I had to fit spacers under the seat mounts in order to facilitate sliding of the seat but MR2 may be a different story. You're never going to win any SPL competitions but they were definitely a worthwhile investment - really complimented the 6.5" components I'd fitted in my doors.

Go for about £150 new but there's a used one on Ebay atm http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blaupunkt-THb ... SwXshWsMFe

Return to “ICE and Security”