Help Valuing a Rev 1 Turbo

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Draven

Re: Help Valuing a Rev 1 Turbo

Post by Draven »

Woah that needs a lot of work :shock:

I would offer £400 - £500 for that at a push. In order to make it decent it needs money and lots of time spending on it. :thumleft:
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Draven wrote:Woah that needs a lot of work :shock:

I would offer £400 - £500 for that at a push. In order to make it decent it needs money and lots of time spending on it. :thumleft:

4-500 if the interior is in decent nick, if the interior matches that i'd be offering less.

I'd suggest you check the wiring where you can to see if it's perished, shoving a battery on that and praying to your preferred almighty could see sparks fly.
craig

Post by craig »

Kiddo wrote:

To be honest, I would take it as it can be saved and I do fancy a turbo project, but it does need a lot of work so my offer price won't be much :pray:

I'm all for a nice project.

I bought this:

and turned it into this:

More here:
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=188212

As above, I'd get a battery on it and try and start it.

If you don't need it as a daily, and it's a complete rev 2 turbo for £500, and you fancy a project, then go for it! :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

knocker wrote:Walk away from this its a money pit, it will cost more than buying a well looked after Rev 3, you will be £1000s out of pocket.

I agree, walk away and spend a little more money on a better maintained example.....
The above car looks fit for the scrapyard i'm afraid.

By the time it's up to scratch you could have got yourself a decent rev 3 turbo instead, got it on the road a lot sooner and still have your project (if that's what you are looking for)...

Good luck with whatever you decide, looks like you may need more than luck with that car though...

8-[
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

RedMR² wrote:
Kiddo wrote:

To be honest, I would take it as it can be saved and I do fancy a turbo project, but it does need a lot of work so my offer price won't be much :pray:

I bought this:

and turned it into this:

More here:

If you don't need it as a daily, and it's a complete rev 2 turbo for £500, and you fancy a project, then go for it! :thumleft:

But how much did it cost you ??? :wink:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

looking at that description and pic, I'd start somewhere around "I'll remove that scrapper from your drive and give you £100" and wouldn't really budge from there... save yourself the hassle and spend less than you would resurrecting that thing on a running, driving rev 3
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
craig

Post by craig »

Martin F wrote:
RedMR² wrote:
Kiddo wrote:

I bought this:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/Re ... b4lehv.jpg

and turned it into this:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/Re ... i4unfv.jpg

More here:

But how much did it cost you ??? :wink:

Fair comment, but he didn't say what his budget was for the project! :mrgreen:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Unless you're a die hard fan, wanting to get sexual with each and every bolt over years and spending a wedge to get it right just save yourself and get a good one for more cash.

Plus I don't want red to gave another reason to flash those bloody pictures one more time as he's going to take up too much server space :lol:
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Kiddo wrote:Well, yes and no...

The car must have been standing for around 18 months, judging by the last MOTs mileage and the current mileage being not a lot more. On the plus side, mileage on the clocks was 81k km, but I don't know whether it's been converted.

From the chassis number, it's a rev 2 and looks like a GT. Rev 3 spoiler, so the old spoiler holes have been filled but will need work to the paint as its bubbled off in places.

Cills need a bit of work on one side, paint in general needs a mega claybar and polish session minimum! Drivers door needs replacing...loads of rot.

And then there's the engine bay after cobweb removal...

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f398/Eseyear/image_23.jpeg[/URL]

It's not seized but couldn't get it running off a jump-pack as the battery is goosed.

That looks like the sort of thing I wouldn't mind making a driveway ornament out of, much to the missus' disgust. I have enough space to keep it out of the breakers hands 'until I have time and money to fix it'

Let us know how you go, i'd the to see another straight body be crushed.
Kiddo

Post by Kiddo »

Thanks for all the replies guys. With Christmas looming, I've not had time to follow up the car but...

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:looking at that description and pic, I'd start somewhere around "I'll remove that scrapper from your drive and give you £100" and wouldn't really budge from there... save yourself the hassle and spend less than you would resurrecting that thing on a running, driving rev 3

^^^ this is pretty much where I'm at, but I was going to offer £250

I completely see both sides of the argument and do have to ask myself 'why would you spend a load of money on a project when you could buy one for more that's had a lot of the work done already..?' This, I know, is the logical question and I 'should' wait for a good example turbo to turn up, buy it and be done with it. However, and this is a big however, the satisfaction I would get from buying something that's fit for the scrap yard to being back on the road would probably out-weigh the cost - I know my R33 GTS-T build was, in the end, more than I could have got a descent GTR for at the time.

Come the new year, I'll make my offer. If he takes it, then I'll give it a good go at getting it roadworthy again, but failing that, it'll make a good breaker :-$
wenguin

Post by wenguin »

sounds good. if you plan on getting another turbo, £250 for a bunch of spares and a shell isn't a bad shout!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

AdamNye wrote:It really depends. There's not a massive difference between the rev1 / rev2's (although i expect someone will disagree). When you're comparing prices between those it seems to be that the millage plays a larger part in dictating the price (and obviously the condition) rather than the rev. Or at least that's just what i've seen in the past couple of months.

Some will disagree, because that's absolutely incorrect. Rev1 to Rev2 saw major changes to the brakes, suspension geometry, and wheel setup.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
AdamNye wrote:It really depends. There's not a massive difference between the rev1 / rev2's (although i expect someone will disagree). When you're comparing prices between those it seems to be that the millage plays a larger part in dictating the price (and obviously the condition) rather than the rev. Or at least that's just what i've seen in the past couple of months.

Some will disagree, because that's absolutely incorrect. Rev1 to Rev2 saw major changes to the brakes, suspension geometry, and wheel setup.

Yup the rev1 and rev2 very very different beasts.. loads of upgrades.

Return to “MR2s for Sale”