Brake pad reccomendations Ebay bargain ideally!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

Re: Brake pad reccomendations Ebay bargain ideally!

Post by SonicSW20 »

ashley wrote:
Gazza_DJ wrote: there's no situation in normal road driving where high end pads like carbotechs are going to make any measurable difference

Agreed, it's only those abnormal emergency situations where you are really going to notice the difference (and of course during more spirited and track driving situations) :thumleft:

In ~100k driving MR2's as a daily, at no point during an emergency stop / heavy braking from motorway speeds have I experienced any braking issues. OE replacement pads like Pagid's are perfectly capable in that situation, just like OE Toyota pads. They will fade a lot quicker with repeated emergency stops, but if you find yourself doing several of those in a row then you really need to modify your driving, not your brake pads. Companies like Pagid supply a lot of OE's these days anyway!

To be honest I've never had a problem during spirited road driving - just ask Will and Tony about the annoying little NA that they just can't get rid of in the twisty bits :lol:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

RedMR² wrote:

I never said anything about getting Carbotech pads. Just sticking with OEM Toyota pads.

The main point of my post was the first line, which you've conveniently ignored in your reply :whistle:
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Gazza none of us have anything against OEM or Pagid pads - they're perfectly fine, and a lot of drivers will regard OEM pads to be more than up to the job for road use. I think it's more the focus on OP wanting to put £25 pads of unknown origin (or history if he buys used) from Ebay/Gumtree/Scrapyard because he's not even willing to fork out for a trusted brand such as Pagid :roll:
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

There seems to be some alarmists on here, who also may be tempted to jump to the wrong conclussions.

One thing i can asure you is that any of my cars are serviced and kept in the best order possible.
Sure I scrimp and save were I can, but I dont compromise.

Just for a little bit of insight, I made an enquiry to a certain ebay seller who sells 2nd hand pads :pale: and asked him what he kept in stock, he said i could more or less specify whatever make of pads as he has loads and he only sells ones that have at least 80-90%
So for example he picked up a set he had listed and they were Mintek ones, he said he doesnt sell on the unbranded stuff just in case.

So someone please explain to me how buying a 90% new set of pads made by a reputable manufacturer is suddenly dangerous?
If your mintek or pagid pads are taken off by your self whilst servicing the callipers or some other job are removed and refitted later, what exactly is the difference between that and refitting these branded salvaged pads? :?:

One thing I am certain of is I am damn sure that my car that is serviced regularly,gone thru with a fine tooth comb, and always kept on top of, is a lot safer than a good percentage of cars on the road.

I am currently in the proccess of going thru the whole braking system, servicing and rebuilding each corner were necessary, flushing and refreshing the brake fluid and of course bleeding, how many regular drivers do this?

Please try to bear in mind that my only reason for toying with the 2nd hand set is because I only have one corner with worn down pads, the rest are fine.
If i buy a new set and put the pads on the corner that is worn down, i will then be left with a partial set with one corner missing.
So the 2nd hand ones would only be used till the whole set have worn down, then i can just fit a new compl;ete set of good pads.
If i thought Ebay bloke was selling 5h1te dangerous johnny no make pads then i wouldnt be considering buying them.
And like another member on here has said, also in 27 or 28 years of driving and doing my own maintenance, i have regularly used normal pads and not fancy stuff and never had a problem or ended up rear ending someone.

BTW on a slight diversion from the theme but on the main subject, when i checked out the brakes on this car, i found that the weird chickens wishbone shaped springy wirey thing on the top of the calliper was totally missing on one side and only 1 of the 2 was still there on the other.
From a bit of browsing i think i found that these things were toyota engineers idea to stop squeeling pads?

Question is how many people are running around without these fitted? never seen them on a lot of cars so presumably/hopefully the brakes will still function without them.
Anyone got some spare ones kickinkg about.?
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

You don't have to buy front and rear as a full set! It's recommended to change the opposite side at the same time anyway, otherwise you may find it pulls to the side when braking. So if your NS/F pads are low you should ideally replace the OS/F pads at the same time.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

With used pads, you don't know how they've been used - an severely overheated pad's friction material will not be as effective as a non-overheated pad. Never buy used pads. As CalMac said, you always do them in axle pairs without exception.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Gazza_DJ wrote:With used pads, you don't know how they've been used - an severely overheated pad's friction material will not be as effective as a non-overheated pad. Never buy used pads. As CalMac said, you always do them in axle pairs without exception.

this, exactly..

or if they've been contaminated with brake fluid, grease, dropped hard, been run slightly on the wonk so they're unevenly worn etc..

the difference between removing your own pads and refitting them is that they're going back onto the same disc that they've always been running on.

always use new pads, always replace both sides at the same time.

I like a bargain myself, I regularly buy things from all over the world (usa, canada, australia, japan etc) to save money over UK sellers and I'll happily buy used things that aren't safety critical like panels, plastics, ecu's etc etc but never brakes.. it makes as much sense as buying used condoms.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyot ... 297&000036

£21.16 for pagid pads

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyot ... 986&000036

£22.21 for brembo

you can't really argue with that?
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Get a couple quid extra off on ECP as well with EXTRA10
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Hmmm pagid for 20 odd and brembo wonder which to go for? flip a coin job.

Suppose like you say can swap both sides at same time.

Just seems a shame to throw one sides away whilst it still has a lot of life left in it.
Suppose I can always keep them in my emergency spares box.

Also was eyeing up those ebc ultimax on ebay also about 20 quid.

Im old fashioned me, I was brought up with the old rationing, make do and mend,recycle and re use ethos from my parents and grandparents.

One thing I don't like these days is how many people throw things away when there's still plenty of use left in them.
No one gets tellys fixed any more they just toss them in the bin and buy a new one.

But that suits me, if I can get my hands on em, I buy/salvage them and fix em.
Might even buy a full set and keep rears as spares, long as there not wasted I'm happy
:D

And also like I said, I was just toying/thinking of options.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

masterbateson wrote:
BTW on a slight diversion from the theme but on the main subject, when i checked out the brakes on this car, i found that the weird chickens wishbone shaped springy wirey thing on the top of the calliper was totally missing on one side and only 1 of the 2 was still there on the other.
From a bit of browsing i think i found that these things were toyota engineers idea to stop squeeling pads?

Question is how many people are running around without these fitted? never seen them on a lot of cars so presumably/hopefully the brakes will still function without them.
Anyone got some spare ones kickinkg about.?

Got a link to an image of these? I did my brakes recently and don't recall anything fitting that description.

My new/old pads had 'anti-squeal' shims.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

These things Tiff:

Anti rattle springs. As the name suggests, they help stop the pad rattling and reduce noise. Some aftermarket pads don't have the holes for them though, and they are not an important part.
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Yup those things :thumleft:
didnt think they would be massively important.

I wonder how much difference they make? :-k
You can get them on ebay along with the sprung side clippy things.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

they just keep the pads away from the disks. Not had them on mine for yrs and no issues
Nic

Post by Nic »

Toyota sell fitting kits for the front and rear pads, these includes the sprung fittings that hold the pads into the carriers and also the spring clips - as pictured above - that fit between the pads on the front, each kit includes all the parts you'll need for both sides.

04947-33010 FITTING KIT, DISC BRAKE, FRONT
04948-17020 FITTING KIT, DISC BRAKE, REAR

With OEM Toyota pads I wouldn't bother fitting the anti-squeal shims, you get better pedal feel without them and the pads won't squeal.

Personally if it was my money I'd buy genuine OEM Toyota pads, on the road they work very well and are good value for money IMO.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
craig

Post by craig »

Nic wrote:

Personally if it was my money I'd buy genuine OEM Toyota pads, on the road they work very well and are good value for money IMO.

Yep, that's my view too. I've only ever used genuine Toyota pads on all the MR2s I've had. Up until last year, when I changed them out for Carbotech Panther Plus, which are epic pads.

Only downside, they squeak and are dusty as fook. :mrgreen:
outrun

Post by outrun »

masterbateson wrote:Oooh! :wink:
Lookey ere now.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-TOYOTA-MR ... Sw54xUYLWi

Cor blimey Mr! :clap:

I run these (was initially to see how well the glazed discs would clean up), and they seem perfectly adequate.
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

masterbateson wrote:

I am currently in the proccess of going thru the whole braking system, servicing and rebuilding each corner were necessary, flushing and refreshing the brake fluid and of course bleeding, how many regular drivers do this?

Please try to bear in mind that my only reason for toying with the 2nd hand set is because I only have one corner with worn down pads,

The first thing you need to do, before even thinking about rebuilding anything, is make sure your callipers are matched across each axle, because if not then that's bloody dangerous.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Cant say I was particularly impressed/pleased when I found out 2 were different :evil:

Would be interested to know if there is any difference and if there is other than the model/revision stamp, what it is? :?: :?

For all I know they may be exactly the same in specification/dimensions and performance, but then again they may well not be :pray: :pray:

Also made me wonder if the disks might be different to if the callipers are :shock: prob not but...

One thing that suggests they may be the same is that they both use same size and spec pads.

Any experts out there know any more about 16V AND 22V callipers? are they interchangeable or not?

Of course ideally I want matched, so prob go for another 22v.

On another note,bought a full set of mintex pads last night, lavishness overcame me :lol:
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

found some interesting info here http://www.mr2.com/forums/archive/index ... 71050.html

Think will need to get my measuring doofrey gauge out and check disk size.

so there are 2 possibilities .

I have rev1 rear disks with 1 rev1 calliper and 1 rev2 onwards calliper so the newer calliper may be stretching its pistons out to far to meet the disks :shock:

Or

I have new thicker disks and they fit into an older calliper designed for 16mm disks? :? :?: #-o

Oh well further investigation, but not today as running around like a loon organising lads 7th bday party in the house :clown: :bounce:
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

why's this no good for my car?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-SW ... xydlFS1Dqf

I've a 92turbo with 36t30 callipers.
Looks like same bits as mine to me? :?

36 equals piston size presumably? :?

And here's another question/thought.
When i checked my passenger front calliper main thing that was wrong with it was a rusted dustboot retaining ring.

Anyone just replaced that? and if so where can you get such things? what they called?
Seems a bit daft replacing the seals if they are ok.
Last edited by masterbateson on Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”