[Mk2] [Generic] passenger side headlight bulb dull both main and dip beam

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

raptor95GTS

[Mk2] [Generic] passenger side headlight bulb dull both main and dip beam

Post by raptor95GTS »

ok, so the passenger side headlight bulb has this annoying habit of not coming on properly. I mean the headlight unit rises into position ok but the headlight bulb is very dull, almost like a sidelight. Doesn't do that all the time but whenever it suits itself. Using either dip or main beam has the same dull light glow.

Every time I take apart the headlight unit to get in and try and fix it, it works perfectly by the time I take everything apart to test it. Bulb works fine, both dip and main. I've cleaned the bulb contacts, cleaned the connector block but it never seems to be a permanent fix.

Worked perfectly this morning going to work, perfect coming home then heading to and from the gym, dull glow from the passenger bulb. Doing my head in ](*,) Anything else I can look for?
Mike

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] passenger side headlight bulb dull both main and dip beam

Post by Mike »

raptor95GTS wrote:ok, so the passenger side headlight bulb has this annoying habit of not coming on properly. I mean the headlight unit rises into position ok but the headlight bulb is very dull, almost like a sidelight. Doesn't do that all the time but whenever it suits itself. Using either dip or main beam has the same dull light glow.

Every time I take apart the headlight unit to get in and try and fix it, it works perfectly by the time I take everything apart to test it. Bulb works fine, both dip and main. I've cleaned the bulb contacts, cleaned the connector block but it never seems to be a permanent fix.

Worked perfectly this morning going to work, perfect coming home then heading to and from the gym, dull glow from the passenger bulb. Doing my head in ](*,) Anything else I can look for?

I had a similar issue a few years ago, essentially it came down to old wiring. Had fresh wiring installed (only the portion that directly goes into the bulb housing, not the whole loom) and it worked fine. Have a look, see if the brightness changes as you touch/manipulate the wiring.
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] passenger side headlight bulb dull both main and dip beam

Post by raptor95GTS »

there's definitely something not right from the fuse box onwards so I will have a look at that next time I'm in there :thumleft:

Return to “Electrical”