[Mk2] [Turbo] Found unplugged wires under dash?

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ryanaj79

[Mk2] [Turbo] Found unplugged wires under dash?

Post by ryanaj79 »

Hi folks, just a random question if anyone knows..
was installing a fog light for my import rev4 and found these plugs sticking out under the ignition.. the bottom 2 I cant find any corresponding connection for them, the top one looks similar to a fog switch, or TRC switch.

a couple of wires have been spliced off these an run off to my defi gauge module, apart from these 3, all the other cables are tidy and an properly wrapped up, ta muchly
tiff_lee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Found unplugged wires under dash?

Post by tiff_lee »

I can't make it out too well as picture is small but I see a fair amount of electrical tape..... has that 3 pin one been added in? (cant make it out).
I had a similar plug in mine for a broken turbo timer
ryanaj79

Post by ryanaj79 »

aye, sorry about the pic size, tis biggest I can make it..
It makes sense if the white plug might be for a turbo timer.. it could hav had one fitted during its time in Japan,
tho cant see any sticker residue anywhere on the dash if it was there, wasnt sure if it could have been for the optional cruise control,
if they fit all the same OEM looms in Japan?

However the spliced wires coming from it split to the Defi module wires, running off to the left in the taped up bundle..other go into the OEM loom.
The white wire and single crimped plug on bottom right also disappear into the OEM loom.. ive undone the tape and opened it up,
but the cables just disappear into the plastic cover lol..

Cheers for your ideas, do you kno what could have been used on the little crimped plug?
ryanaj79

Post by ryanaj79 »

Never mind, think ive found out what they were for,
found this pic of an Apexi turbo timer harness,

thats the 2 ends I was puzzled about
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

I had something similar fitted to my car but was more of a mess. I binned the turbo timer as it didnt work and then removed the intermediate connector like your picture and just connected the original plugs back together.
ryanaj79

Post by ryanaj79 »

glad i didnt get one then lol.. ive read folk are mixed about using them,
Ive just taped up the wires neatly out the way, as they wired into the loom, cheers for your help
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

No problem, I just thought that plug which is the same type as on the foglight switch was it for a dimmer? Not sure if these had a dimmer switch for the dash lights by default, mine had an aftermarket one bodged in but i'm sure ive seen it mentioned in a wiring diagram somewhere.
ryanaj79

Post by ryanaj79 »

aye, I wasnt sure about that either, but I think the dimmers were only on the UK MR2s, so thought the loom would be different?
only other thought was for a traction control switch? with them being optional on the tubbys?

TBH i do find the tubbys more interesting in terms of figuring stuff out, as theres always something you find that looks like it shouldnt be there lol
my Celica is a SS2 import and doesnt have same looms/bits as a UK one.

glad this is the only loose wiring I found on her tho, as my previous rev2 had been messed about with :(

Return to “Electrical”