[Mk2] [Turbo] rear fog light switch

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

simpson_eh

[Mk2] [Turbo] rear fog light switch

Post by simpson_eh »

can anybody help me please,

i want to install a oem rear fog light switch in my 2 so it has the oem look, ive got hold of the switch but need to identify the wire

i have
red with green line
green with silver dot
green with red line
white and black

just need to know which is which ie power earth feed fog light etc

any help much appreciated
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.
Pauln

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] rear fog light switch

Post by Pauln »

I recently did this mod on my turbo, but I'm afraid I can't remember which colour wire on the socket tail was which.

But essentially the stock switch is illuminated to make it easier to locate at night, so from memory I think you'll find the top two connectors on the back of the switch are for the internal lamp which plugs into the switch housing.

I picked up a feed for this from the lamp feed on the cigarette lighter.

The bottom two connectors, again from memory, switch the +12v feed to the rear fog on and off.

As you are only switching the +12v feed for the fog lamp, it doesn't matter which way around these go.

If you have a multimeter it's easy to double check this on the switch.

What the stock switch doesn't have is a built in warning light, which I believe is strictly speaking required for the MOT, as I think this was fitted in the dash on UK models.

That said my turbo didn't have a warning light when I bought it, and had just gone through an MOT.

I've now fitted a small red led adjacent to the switch to try to avoid any future issues with this.

I also wired the switch to operate a relay, rather than switching the +12v feed for the rear fogs directly as I wasn't sure of the load the switch could take, and thought it was better to be safe than sorry.

Paul
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

bring up an old question

Can I wire the switch in and place the bulb in the cluster like a UK version so that it lights up like the front fogs, I presume that it will have a space for it as they are usually mass produced just a case of running a supply to the bulb .?.

And any idea on the colours again not got round to doing it yet as the car is in the garage
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Take a live that goes live with the headlights on ... run it to the back with a switch in-between and your fog light golden .. thats what i did and passed mot's 8-[
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

simpson_eh wrote:bring up an old question

Can I wire the switch in and place the bulb in the cluster like a UK version so that it lights up like the front fogs, I presume that it will have a space for it as they are usually mass produced just a case of running a supply to the bulb .?.

And any idea on the colours again not got round to doing it yet as the car is in the garage

The Turbo was a JDM model and used a different layout of dash warning lamps to that used on UK NA models.

If you don't have the cruise control option on your car the bottom right hand warning light slot should be unused, but you would have to acquire the correct legend insert from a UK cluster and fit it in place of the cruise legend. Then you would have to modify the wiring on the back of the cluster to suit. It can be done and I believe at least one member on here has done this mod, but it involves quite a bit of work.

In terms of the colours on the stock UK rear fog connector, I've managed to find a photo of my the plug and switch I purchased to fit on my turbo. Unfortunately it's not very clear so I don't know how much help it will be. I also don't know if there were any other variants.

The plug and connector for the UK switch purchased are shown on the left.

Paul

Return to “Electrical”