Mikey's MK2 Racecar

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MikeyB571

Mikey's MK2 Racecar

Post by MikeyB571 »

I’m finally getting round to putting a thread up for my MR2 project, I hope to put some interesting stuff in here.
My previous project car was my Skyline which is now up for sale; I got it perfect then realized how much it was worth and couldn’t really drive it in anger anymore. Just too scared to damage it 

It’s running 600 hp and is able to put all of that down.

I’ve had my MR2 for some years, initially planned to use it for the MR2 Championship and while acquiring skill, I got bored with the power it had. It was just not powerful enough to have fun on the track IMO. I’m not sure what I’m going to do now for my first race season but for now just concentrating of acquiring skill.

I stripped the car down and race prepped it.
So after tons of dicky about with the car, I took the car off the road early this year. At that point the spec was:

• Rev2 engine with Forged pistons
• CT20 Hybrid turbo
• Rogue Rollcage
• Yellow Bilstein shock and Tein springs.
• HKS Exhaust
• Syvecs ECU with lots of aftermarket sensors.
• CoP and trigger wheel

So over the cause this year I’ve had a ton of jobs on my todo list and I keep adding to it , so here’s what I’ve done and doing this year:
Intercooler to Charge cooler conversion:

I found that when using the car in anger on the track, the intake temps were pretty high. In fact as you drove the car more and more, the intake temps would just get higher and higher until I get a noticeable lose in power. Because I have the Syvecs setup to pull timing out if the temps rise, I don’t get knock but just lose power.

So I picked up a ST205 charge cooler and then discovered that fitting it would be a big more challenging than I initially thought. But I now have that fitted to the engine and am working on getting the Radtec cooler rad fitted (I’ll get to that later as that relates to another mod I’m doing).

You may also have noticed from these pics that I’ve installed a new fuel system with Teflon hoses throughout, this was recent job.
The interesting thing with the fuel system is that I have installed ASNU injectors (IMO one of the best injectors on the market) and I’m using a custom fuel created by Ashley. Top bloke Ashley and he did a lovely job on the fuel rail; I’m hoping he has some better pics that he can post up.

Another job I’ve been working on is to put a bonnet scoop with ducting from the front of the car, so that I don’t get that horrible high speed lift. Again with Ashely’s help I managed to modify the bonnet, I’ve also got the hole cut in the front of the frunk (Still need to finish some welding) and I am currently still working on the ducting and radiator mounting.

I’m got to the point where the ducting got me stumped so I switched to some other jobs for the last few weeks. I decided to move the ECU to the cabin behind the passenger seat and created a new engine loom; due to some OCD tendencies I’m now rewiring the whole car  but haven’t started on the other circuits (Lights, Electric windows, power steering) yet.
I’ve now finished the engine loom and tied it into the dash, which brings me on to my most exciting development. I decided a while back that I wanted to develop my own digital dash, I’ve been working on it for the last year and the first prototype is now complete. I’m basically reading the Canbus stream from the Syvecs ECU and displaying a graphical representation of all the telemetry.

I did a little video but can’t run the engine for long as the radiator isn’t fitted yet and so haven’t even been able to map it yet. Here are some pics and a short video of the display. It’s the first design and I’m already reworking the graphics completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ofga4z8hE

This has been a bit of bulk download, I’ve missed loads of detail but I hope you enjoy seeing the work I’m doing. It certainly interests me :)
ashley

Re: Mikey's MK2 Racecar

Post by ashley »

Finally \:D/

(Although I can't believe you posted a pic of your Skyline to start with! It is an awesome machine though, and I can confirm Mikey is certifiable for selling up)

OK- pictures of the fuel rail: I managed to find some extruded ali fuel rail blank from the US. The ends were tapped to fit -06 adapters, and the injectors holes drilled to fit a Rev1/2 head. This wasn't as straight forwards as I hoped as we found out that fuel rails have tapered injector holes.

It took me a while to work out how to cut tapered holes, which I finally did with a cut down drill bit that I ground on the lathe to the required taper angle.
We then found out that the ASNU "11mm" injectors are actually a fair bit smaller, so then final holes in the fuel rail are specifically designed to fit.

Nuff talking, here are the pictures:

Then some pictures of the bonnet mods- the idea was to cut the bonnet, and bend down the skin to form a scoop, which is then strengthened and supported by two side walls. The walls are spot welded in place, which you can see my Dad teaching Mikey how to do below:

I think it looks great, and I can't wait to see how Mikey's car performs on track...the only thing I'm really worried about is the fact his turbo is so small, bit given that he's got mahoosive injectors in there I can't see it being long before he mans up and puts a real blower on there :thumleft:
MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

Nice one Ashely, thanks for the post.
You did some great work there.

I'm sure I'll man up at some point, but any significant power increase will involve a dry sump setup I think :)
ashley

Post by ashley »

Meant to say- the dash is looking great mate
parker455

Post by parker455 »

Looks great! Can't wait to see how you get along with it!
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

looks good..
would be good to see it in the toyota sprint series
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

love it.. the skybus isn't too bad either! they look so good in red.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

Glad you like it, I hope to have the front finished this weekend and I'm also working on a new Digi Dash graphical design. So should be able to show you all the new design properly with the engine running for more than just a few seconds.

I might have to try the Toyota sprint series, I haven't actually competed yet so might be a good starting point. Thanks for the heads up on that.
MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

Hey Peeps,

I got some work done my car this weekend, getting closer and a little desperate to have it on the road. Having withdrawal symptoms from not having a fast car for some months :(

I think I've finished my ducting and radiator mounting for the bonnet scoop, just need to get the pipework sorted so I can run the engine properly. Map it and play with my digidash some more.

It's a bit different to yours Ashley.

ashley

Post by ashley »

Looks great!!

:clap:
MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

Here is a little update on my project, I've done loads but most of it might seem a little tedious :)
Completely rewired the whole car, with new fuse boxes (power steering TBD) and got it all up and running with LED bulbs. However shortly after that I got a sticky thermostat and overheated the engine.
Unfortunately due to some exceptional circumstances it got very hot and cracked the block, so I started a rebuild last week.

Here are some pics of it complete, I think the bonnet looks pretty good considering I painted it with rattle cans:

Wiring need a little tidying up right up to the Fuse boxes:

I'm also installing this little beauty to prevent oil surges.

Should have the engine rebuilt next week and be able to start some proper mapping on boost :)
ashley

Post by ashley »

Impressively quick turn around on the new bottom end! :thumleft:

That Acusump looks HEAVY though :-k

:clown:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

What you've built is a 750MC Roadsports car:

http://www.750mc.co.uk/formulae/roadsports.htm

This series was originally designed for MR2s before being opened up to include other suitable cars. There are a number of MR2 turbos that currently race in it - including a speedster - as well as 2ZZ / 2ZZ supercharged and 2GRFE equipped MR2 Roadsters.

I'll be returning to Roadsports again myself next year, but in a GT86:

MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

Thanks Ash, want it back on the road asap:)

I will definitely be interested in that race series, I'll be looking into it.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Car no 77 - shown in the picture at the top of the Roadsports page - has a supercharged BEAMS engine!

MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

After lots of development I finally managed to take this out for a shakedown at Cadwell Park, which is now possibly my favorite track.

With some recent purchases from some members on here I am now running 16" wheels which makes so much difference, completely transforms the way this car drives.

I'm planning another trackday possibly Oulton Park or Cadwell again in early march if anyone fancies joining me :)

The short of it is that MR2's are awesome :)

ashley

Post by ashley »

MikeyB571 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

\:D/
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

MikeyB571 wrote:After lots of development I finally managed to take this out for a shakedown at Cadwell Park, which is now possibly my favorite track.

With some recent purchases from some members on here I am now running 16" wheels which makes so much difference, completely transforms the way this car drives.

I'm planning another trackday possibly Oulton Park or Cadwell again in early march if anyone fancies joining me :)

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y46 ... kesa9w.jpg

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y46 ... o8hdvg.jpg

wheels looks great.. love the tyres on there too :thumleft: :thumleft:
MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

Thanks Pete, they do suit the car.
Running R888R's :)

Had to get a second set for wets though, Cadwell was a nightmare in the wet.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

MikeyB571 wrote:Thanks Pete, they do suit the car.
Running R888R's :)

Had to get a second set for wets though, Cadwell was a nightmare in the wet.

yeah lot of water gather on the track at cadwell doesn't it

Return to “Member Profiles”