[Mk2] [Turbo] Recommendations for a alarm system

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

markstevieandmads

[Mk2] [Turbo] Recommendations for a alarm system

Post by markstevieandmads »

My viper 480xv has decided to play up. I know its an old system. I found the battery backup has died on it, and now everytime i power up the car (i leave it with battery off in garage as not used that often) the siren goes off.

The immobiliser still works ok but the alarm siren part is faulty. I have tried everything (im an electrician) and it looks like the main ecu is sending voltage to power the siren when not needed.

Anyway...back on topic....

So does anyone have any recommendations on what alarm to get fitted. Ideally i will get rid of the viper and have the new system installed to replace.

The viper is thatcham approved (i here there is no such thing now?). Im not too worried about this now as i could get a seperate immobiliser fitted for next to nothing however it would be nice to have an all singing all dancing.

Im in wiltshire so if im not fitting myself i need someone to be local or mobile to fit.

What suggestions have we got?
rev3gtturbo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Recommendations for a alarm system

Post by rev3gtturbo »

I think Thatcham still exists and it has links to finding installers.

It is VSIB that no longer exists so from an insurance point of view how do you prove a new alarm has been fitted properly by an "approved" alarm installer.

A couple of years ago I asked my insurers to identify an approved alarm installer in my local area and they don't do that.

You could ask the UK distributor of which ever alarm system you want to fit who is an approved fitter near you.
Alternatively you could ask a main car dealer who they use to fit alarms on new cars.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

When the old alarm system is removed make sure both doors lock and unlock correctly from both key locks before the new alarm is fitted otherwise some weird things can happen later.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Some insurers require a certificate to prove an alarm/immoibiliser has been properly fitted otherwise the car wont be insured for theft.

I once had an insurer threaten to cancel my policy as the seller lost the certificate in the few days between me test driving the car and collecting it after payment. Initially the insurer said no theft cover without a certificate for the security installation. Within a month the certificate was still not found so the insurers said policy will be cancelled unless get a certificate to us in X days.

Cost me hundreds to have a perfectly working alarm removed and replaced with a new item with a certificate. :evil:
markstevieandmads

Ive come to the conclusion that i will buy the ai606 and install myself (price aprox £120) then if need be i will get it certified by a local dealer.
It seems a lot cheaper doing it that way.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Im about to break my rev2 v6 that i diy fitted a toad ai606 to i could carefully remove it for you?
markstevieandmads

thomp1983 wrote:Im about to break my rev2 v6 that i diy fitted a toad ai606 to i could carefully remove it for you?

Could u pm me details please
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

markstevieandmads wrote:Ive come to the conclusion that i will buy the ai606 and install myself (price aprox £120) then if need be i will get it certified by a local dealer.

Don't know who your insurers are but the ones that have insured my car have all wanted to see a certificate.

The problem you might have is if the car is nicked and the insurers wont pay out as you cant produce a certificate and they don't have a copy of it in their records.

It was going to be about £150 to get my alarm certified. Didn't think it was worth spending that much on an old alarm so had something new fitted instead with a certificate for the insurers.
markstevieandmads

rev3gtturbo wrote:
markstevieandmads wrote:Ive come to the conclusion that i will buy the ai606 and install myself (price aprox £120) then if need be i will get it certified by a local dealer.

Don't know who your insurers are but the ones that have insured my car have all wanted to see a certificate.

The problem you might have is if the car is nicked and the insurers wont pay out as you cant produce a certificate and they don't have a copy of it in their records.

It was going to be about £150 to get my alarm certified. Didn't think it was worth spending that much on an old alarm so had something new fitted instead with a certificate for the insurers.

I've checked and can get it verified quite cheap. Thanks for the info tho.

Return to “ICE and Security”