[Mk2] [Generic] Mk2 Rev2 UK spec No dash gauges work or radio and power steering

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ydouaskm8

[Mk2] [Generic] Mk2 Rev2 UK spec No dash gauges work or radio and power steering

Post by ydouaskm8 »

Hi myself and my son are trying to save a MR2 Rev2 Uk spec,Purchased it non runner(cambelt), it also had a short in the electrics that was blowing the 7.5 amp IG2 fuse under the bonnet, i stripped out the dash lower panels and found a mess of hacked wiring and a toad alarm, I've stripped this out connecting the wire back to the original ends but i have the follow problems:-
No dash gauges work
dash light n/w
power steering n/w
radio n/w

So I've check all the fuses and they are okay(engine bay,Under bonnet and drivers footwell) i can't see any wires missing or not connected.

But the open door light and battery light on the dash work, Any ideas or a 'how to check list would be great.

really hope someones seen this before :)
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Mk2 Rev2 UK spec No dash gauges work or radio and power steering

Post by Peter Gidden »

What wiring diagram are you using?

It's often easier to refer to a diagram.
ydouaskm8

bgr

Post by ydouaskm8 »

Using BGR, just don't know where to start really, I've checked the connection either side on the joins and all have continuity,its like a feed wire is not working or earth
ydouaskm8

bgr

Post by ydouaskm8 »

Using BGB, just don't know where to start really, I've checked the connection either side on the joins and all have continuity,its like a feed wire is not working or earth
Last edited by ydouaskm8 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ydouaskm8

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Mk2 Rev2 UK spec No dash gauges work or radio and power steering

Post by ydouaskm8 »

mr2.ie/mr2/bgb/mk2/electrical/index_electrical.html
ydouaskm8

Post by ydouaskm8 »

She runs very nice but i have no dash gauges working and no engine lights either
ydouaskm8

Post by ydouaskm8 »

anyone know where the main power relay is located ? seen in link below

mr2.ie/mr2/bgb/mk2/electrical/relay_locations.html
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

ydouaskm8 wrote:anyone know where the main power relay is located ? seen in link below

mr2.ie/mr2/bgb/mk2/electrical/relay_locations.html

Bulkhead, up behind dash. Never known one to be faulty.
ydouaskm8

Post by ydouaskm8 »

can't understand why its mainly all dead
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

So you have sidelights, but no dash lights?
ydouaskm8

Post by ydouaskm8 »

all dash lights except battery and open door lights do not work, all gauges also dead, water temp/rev/fuel etc , also power steering not working , very strange
ydouaskm8

part fixed :)

Post by ydouaskm8 »

Okay so i have fixed the issue minus the power steering , it was the alternator 12v feed bolt touching the engine block arching out the system blowing the ALT 120amp fuse :( , But i still have no power steering

I have tried the on/off trick and bridged the wires on the relay but still dead, does anyone know have i can test the pump motor ?

any help would be good
thanks in advance

Steve :D
ydouaskm8

fixed

Post by ydouaskm8 »

Okay after following the wiring dig's and reading the codes, on this model has to feeds one 12v and the other feed from the 80Amp ABS fuse, well the 12v feed was working and the code said no power to the pump(code 11) so i checked the 80amp fuse and it was okay BUT looking closer and testing the continuity between the fuse sides showed a faulty fuse (no blown), popped clear cap off only to find the fuse bridging connection loose, hard wired tmp connect across fuse and BINGO all working :) happy days so even though the fuse looked okay is was not connected in the fuse ...

No to sort the sills out as rotten and new drop links as also worn out , this car will be like new soon :)

cheers people

Return to “Electrical”