Question for the V6 boys

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

thomp1983

Re: Question for the V6 boys

Post by thomp1983 »

kirk wrote:I spotted that also. Does seem to be missing the intake and various other things. More like a long block assembly rather than a complete unit.

One thing I have noticed is these V6's are quite low revving which is a surprise. That or it's just the speedo's out of calibration.

Most v design engines are quite low revving it's an inherent part of the design there all about power at 2-5k then it tails off
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

thomp1983 wrote:
kirk wrote:I spotted that also. Does seem to be missing the intake and various other things. More like a long block assembly rather than a complete unit.

One thing I have noticed is these V6's are quite low revving which is a surprise. That or it's just the speedo's out of calibration.

Most v design engines are quite low revving it's an inherent part of the design there all about power at 2-5k then it tails off

I thought the 6250 rev limit was a factory imposed thing more than an inherent design thing - the engine's main intent is more torque so the fuelling map dictates much of the delivery - rather than simply the vee design.

(that's a question as much as a statement)
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Im not really the man to ask paul or peter would likely know. From memory id like to say it's to do with the conrods and there angle but i wouldn't quote me on it.

The 6250rpm limit is factory imposed and they can go beyond it slightly (think my 3vz is around 7k) but sustained high revving like that will break something
kirk

Post by kirk »

So has anyone on here got a 1MZ vvti in their cars or would I be better off on twobrutal?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I've built dozens of them and have two at the garage right now, plus a VVti 1mz i've just finished installing into a Gen7 Celica (never been done before)...... what would you like to know?

kirk

Post by kirk »

I'm looking at doing a swap possibly over christmas providing things go well in the next few months. Considering a 2GR is well out of my budget at the minute would a 1MZ swap be worth it over a 3SGTE swap?

I've owned Supra's previously ranging from TT to Non turbo. I quite enjoyed the hassle free drive the non turbo gave, the twin turbo could be an utter pain in the ar$e at times when things failed.

It's my understanding the 1MZ in vvti form puts out similar power to the 2JZGE, 220ish, but in something that heavy it runs out of steam quite quickly. What would that sort of power be like in a MK2 chassis?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The vvti 1mz returns performance figures slightly better than a rev1/2 turbo, perhaps on par with a stock rev 3. Forget power figures as they don't reflect the real performance as these engines are all about the torque and the very wide powerband they have.

The 1mz vvti completely transforms a Mk2 into the car it should always have been, no reliability issues, torque on tap at any Rpm and a gorgeous soundtrack, massive win in every department apart from tuning, the 3s-gte can be tuned much easier, but of course that comes with its own set of problems.
kirk

Post by kirk »

I think the main issue I have is I've been spoilt too much with silly amounts of turbo power previously. I'm just used to having boost. Perhaps a boosted 1MZ would satisfy my needs but I suspect that won't be an easy thing to do.

I'd have to drive one to form a better opinion on the swap I guess. That or just save like a mad man until I can afford a 2GR :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”