My new toy (Rev 3 Turbo aka Neela)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

LukeSi

My new toy (Rev 3 Turbo aka Neela)

Post by LukeSi »

Well following on from my comment in Samgpr50's thread I've just bought his black MR2 from him, so far I'm loving it, it needs a new turbo however the price I paid took this into account, up to about 4500rpm its fine but if you inadvertently go over that then it hits the fuel cut hard, currently got an offer on a CT20B on ebay and fingers crossed that fixes the overboosting issue. Handling wise its amazing, Tein coilovers, polybushes, strut braces, its the best MR2 I've ever driven!

I'll stick some pics up after work but safe to say I'm smitten.
samgpr50

Re: My new toy (Rev 3 Turbo aka Neela)

Post by samgpr50 »

I'm glad you like her! I guess I better change my profile now to say broken beams!
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

I've been looking at MR2s since about a month after I got my Clio but haven't had the money until recently, combine that with the fact that I couldn't find one for sale that I liked.

After getting a job in April I've been having a proper look at what was up for sale, the only ones I could find were either out of my budget or majorly borked. Then a post popped up on my facebook news feed one night, someone fairly local to me had one that they were thinking of breaking, I got talking to him and started discussing the car, needless to say it was way too nice to break and after lots of persuasion I managed to talk him out of breaking it and managed to get first refusal for when it did go up for sale. This was a few weeks ago, then I got a text early last week that it was definitely up for sale and that he wasn't going to advertise it until I saw it.

Obviously this meant that I definitely needed to go and look at it, he had been offered almost £3000 for the car in parts but said that I could have it for £2500 due to it needing a new turbo and the timing correcting. Well I went to look at it, liked what I saw a lot, and then I didn't even bother haggling, I just handed him £2500 after going for a ride in it. And then it hit me, I own an MR2 Turbo! An MR2 Turbo which last time it was on a dyno made 245hp at the wheels. Even in its current state down on power due to the turbo its still bloody quick!

I suppose you are wanting to know whats so special about it, well those of you that remember my old one will know that it was pretty much standard and very broken. This one is basically the exact opposite, it wants for nothing apart from the turbo and timing the former of which I've bought one and am just waiting for the guy to get back from his holiday so that I can collect it, the latter I'll be taking it to xxxx near Kidderminster once the new Turbo is fitted for an oil service and to have the timing corrected.

The engine bay is immaculate though, nice shiny metal pipes and silicone hose everywhere! It's been well loved. Spec wise its amazing, I don't know everything its got however I have a fairly good idea.

The main thing you will notice is the exhaust, its fecking huge! It's a Blitz Nur Spec R, one of the most free flowing exhausts available for the MR2 Turbo, it is also running a Berk downpipe with a flexi which is the best downpipe available for the MR2, loud is an understatement, its pure evil, and it also spits flames which are about 4 feet long!

In the actual engine bay itself there is a HKS Mushroom filter and a HKS SSQV dump valve, its also running an aftermarket intercooler although I can't remember what make it is, there is also a custom fan in the engine lid which keeps it all nice and cool.

The suspension however is the main show stopper, it is running tein coilovers and is set up perfectly, they are currently wound all the way down so its rather low, it also has TRD topmounts and it fully polybushed which even includes the engine mounts, however the ride is still surprisingly good considering the suspension it has. There are also aftermarket strut braces which compliment the standard X braces nicely, the only flex is from the sidewalls of the tyres.

Inside it is fairly standard apart from an Apexi AVC-R boost controller and some absolutely stunning Speedhut dials, the heater control also has blue LEDs which nicely match the dials and boost controller.

Cosmetically it is a completely standard Rev 3 apart from the rev 1 front splitter which I kind of like. Well enough of my ramblings, I suppose you want to see some photos of Neela (named by the previous owner and its stuck).

Image10494964_10152651217252990_1376184122824977274_o by LukeSi, on Flickr

Image10493073_10152651221527990_1496509917374144223_o by LukeSi, on Flickr

Image10380472_10152651221347990_3229129601158592626_o by LukeSi, on Flickr

Image10368840_10152651188277990_7787279162442580205_o by LukeSi, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0040 by LukeSi, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0038 by LukeSi, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0036 by LukeSi, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0030 by LukeSi, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0024 by LukeSi, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0021 by LukeSi, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0014 by LukeSi, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0011 by LukeSi, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0002 by LukeSi, on Flickr
craig

Post by craig »

Looking good there mate, regarding the exhaust, that's same set up as me. Nur Spec R with Berk de-cat.

Sounds rather nice, epecially through the long tunnels :twisted:

Enjoy the car. :thumleft:
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

TRD indiglow dials u mean ?
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

Just a quick update, discovered and solved the reason for it having the overboost issue, there has been an error code on the dash since just after I bought the car and I misread the fault code thinking it was an overboost issue, the previous owner checked the fault code and advised me that it was infact a knock sensor fault.

Yesterday we fitted a replacement knock sensor to the car and straight away it is like a completely different car, gone is the massive overboost and lack of power, the car boosts to a maximum of 1.2 bar and its quick... really really quick, its by far the fastest car I've ever driven, the turbo it is fitted with has quite a lot of lag however as soon as it fully comes on boost it actually moves rather quickly.

Got some skyline R32 wheels fitted now and picked up a charge cooler last night which will get fitted at some point next year to replace the interwarmer (intercooler). Will fit the rev 2 splitter when we have the front end off the car to fit the charge cooler rad, she's definitely getting there.
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

Thought I should probably update this thread.

Sad times :(
I've managed to ruin the piston ring on cylinder 2 so compression is 40psi, it had been misfiring for a while which would be a result of the ring so sadly it's most likely I have ruined the engine, the shell also has a fair amount of rust on the passenger side (sill and arch) so it looks like it is the end for this car :(
JD

Post by JD »

Yowch. Well - good times were had after all. No chance of costing for welding and replacing piston rings? Bore is likely scored I suppose.
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

As much as I'd love to it makes no sense financially. To get it up to a standard I'm happy with it would need a fair amount of welding and a complete respray. Plan is to break it for parts and try to import one from Japan.
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

Couldn't bring myself to do it. Was talking about breaking it...

Going into the garage on tuesday for an engine rebuild and the welding work to be done.
Spent several hundred pounds on a new (2nd hand turbo) a GT2876R including downpipe etc, a sill repair panel, man in Dandism mats (the striped ones) and a full cloth interior.

I had the choice of spend lots of money and take the MR2 to the Nurburgring or be sensible and go in a Diesel Skoda (my daily)...

I'm not going to the Nurburgring in a diesel Skoda haha.
Hopefully a couple of weeks time I should have her back :D
craig

Post by craig »

Good stuff mate! :D
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Glad to hear it! With that turbo in boy you'll be glad you did.
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

Righto. So looks like things are about to get moving big time. I've kind of just agreed a deal to build a forged engine...

Can't wait!
craig

Post by craig »

LukeSi wrote:Righto. So looks like things are about to get moving big time. I've kind of just agreed a deal to build a forged engine...

Can't wait!

\:D/ Tuned in :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”