[Mk2] [Turbo] Electrical gremlins visitation.

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bigal

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Electrical gremlins visitation.

Post by bigal »

Nails wrote:To get it out after its off the pivot mount you need to take the middle pipe off your exhaust,the one between the decat and the backbox. Then remove the mount that it fastened too. You can get the alt out now between the engine and subframe. We did it this way on outruns rev 2 and my rev 3. Can't see how this wouldn't work on any other tubby.

Thanks for the encouragement, I've researched all the possible alternative ways of removing the alternator and there are nearly as many different suggested ways as positions in the Karma Sutra. I now know in theory how to do it so when this heatwave dies down and I can summon up a little love for the car again I'll have a go.
bigal

Post by bigal »

mr2magic wrote:Can you not pull it out the top? I can't remember if i managed it after removing cruise control.

No.
Also read somewhere that the alternator can be wriggled around and come out through the top where the afm is, after losing about 2 gallons of sweat yesterday the answer is no.
No wonder I did a crap time in last night's time trial.

Next question .....Can I start the car with a good battery without the alternator on, so that I can reverse the car onto some ramps, or does the alernator have to be connected?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

bigal wrote:Can I start the car with a good battery without the alternator on, so that I can reverse the car onto some ramps, or does the alernator have to be connected?

Yes you can. Remember to insulate the large alternator loom terminal before reconnecting the battery.
bigal

Post by bigal »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
bigal wrote:Can I start the car with a good battery without the alternator on, so that I can reverse the car onto some ramps, or does the alernator have to be connected?

Yes you can. Remember to insulate the large alternator loom terminal before reconnecting the battery.

Thanks Peter.
bigal

Post by bigal »

Well look what I've managed to prise out of my car today, I will never, never, never, etc do this job again, or ignore the advice of my betters....... #-o ......I just hope it is the alternator that is at fault and not something else.
bigal

Post by bigal »

Well I managed to replace the alternator in my car today. Car started fine so I checked the voltage across the battery and it read 12.05v with the engine idling, is this normal? Engine seemed to be idling high at about 1100rpm.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

bigal wrote:Well I managed to replace the alternator in my car today. Car started fine so I checked the voltage across the battery and it read 12.05v with the engine idling, is this normal?

No. Should be around 13.6-14V.

So now you have to find where the fault lies.

Is the replacement alternator known to be in perfect working order?

If yes, with ignition on, but engine not running, check the voltage (using the engine as earth) at the 3 pins in the alternator plug.

Report back with which pin is not 12V.
bigal

Post by bigal »

bigal wrote:Well I managed to replace the alternator in my car today. Car started fine so I checked the voltage across the battery and it read 12.05v with the engine idling, is this normal?

No. Should be around 13.6-14V.

So now you have to find where the fault lies.

Is the replacement alternator known to be in perfect working order?

If yes, with ignition on, but engine not running, check the voltage (using the engine as earth) at the 3 pins in the alternator plug.

Report back with which pin is not 12V.

Hi Peter, Yes the alternator is brand new with a computer test report.

The voltages at the pins as you look at the connector are....

Left pin.. black and white/yellow? wire=3.8v
middle pin=11.9v
right pin=11.8v

Hope you can help.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

bigal wrote:The voltages at the pins as you look at the connector are....

middle pin=11.9v
right pin=11.8v

Hope you can help.

OK, the black/yellow wire comes from ignition main relay, through ECU-IG fuse, and then to the 3 pin plug.

So now measure voltage at the ECU-IG fuse in the engine bay fuse box. To eliminate any issues with the fuse/fuse terminals, measure the voltage both sides of the fuse (again, using the engine as earth).
bigal

Post by bigal »

middle pin=11.9v
right pin=11.8v

Hope you can help.

OK, the black/yellow wire comes from ignition main relay, through ECU-IG fuse, and then to the 3 pin plug.

So now measure voltage at the ECU-IG fuse in the engine bay fuse box. To eliminate any issues with the fuse/fuse terminals, measure the voltage both sides of the fuse (again, using the engine as earth).

Cheers Peter I'll have a look in the morning.
bigal

Post by bigal »

middle pin=11.9v
right pin=11.8v

Hope you can help.

Just checked....12.3v both sides.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

bigal wrote:

middle pin=11.9v
right pin=11.8v

Hope you can help.

So you have an issue in the wire between the fuse and the terminal in the 3 pin plug.
bigal

Post by bigal »

bigal wrote:

So you have an issue in the wire between the fuse and the terminal in the 3 pin plug.

New wire spliced in to bypass black/yellow cable and now have 14.1v across battery. :thumleft:
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

bigal wrote:
bigal wrote:

New wire spliced in to bypass black/yellow cable and now have 14.1v across battery. :thumleft:

Excellent! Well done!

Return to “Electrical”