Problems after car laid up for 5 months

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2mk2

Re: Problems after car laid up for 5 months

Post by mr2mk2 »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
mr2mk2 wrote:Found a secondhand afm for £50, Peter, is it worth trying to clean my existing one first before buying an unknown?

You can try cleaning (again).

I wouldn't be buying an uknown. Buy or borrow one from a trusted source.

Do you know of any trusted sources Peter? I will try taking the top off and cleaning the track. By the way, the CSW is broken now so I've disconnected it but not throwing a fault code. Am I correct in thinking this will only.be an issue with cold starts?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

mr2mk2 wrote:Do you know of any trusted sources Peter?

See if there's someone here local to you that can lend you theirs for ten minutes.

mr2mk2 wrote:I will try taking the top off and cleaning the track.

AFMs should never be dismantled.

mr2mk2 wrote:By the way, the CSW is broken now so I've disconnected it but not throwing a fault code. Am I correct in thinking this will only.be an issue with cold starts?

I've got customers that haven't had a cold start switch for years and had no issues.
mr2mk2

Post by mr2mk2 »

Is there anybody who lives near Barnsley/Wakefield on here who has a rev 1 turbo and would be willing to let me try their afm. I will make it worth your while. Thanks Rob
mr2mk2

Post by mr2mk2 »

Well I've finally decided. I sold my MR2 na which was totally reliable and then I bought this rust free (apart from a small patch on each sill) rev 1 turbo which has been brilliant when running well. However after paying out over £1k for metal hg, HSH and new parts for the ignition system, enough is enough and it's going to the Scrap Man. Will be sad to see it go but I think it's one of "those" cars. Wife calls it The Gnome as it just sits in the garden :)
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Seems a tad extreme, personally id get it over to Pete as he's near Barnsley and see what he thinks before throwing the towel in
mr2mk2

Post by mr2mk2 »

thomp1983 wrote:Seems a tad extreme, personally id get it over to Pete as he's near Barnsley and see what he thinks before throwing the towel in

May seem a tad extreme but I learnt my lesson years ago, don't throw good money after bad. It's a Yorkshire thing. Heart says love it and keep it, head says get rid. Time to get rid!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”