Josh's Rev 3 Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Re: Josh's Rev 3 Turbo

Post by JAAASH »

:mrgreen:
Last edited by JAAASH on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

JAAASH wrote:Image

:mrgreen:

Hope it all goes to plan and this afternoon remains dry ;)
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Martin wrote:Hope it all goes to plan

It very rarely goes to plan :lol: :roll:

As i'm sure most of you are aware by now, mapping didn't quite go as well as we'd have wanted. Not a major issue though and should easily be rectified by mid-week, meaning Chris can carry on with the mapping.

The day started with a couple of little niggles. A firmware update on the ecu that caused issues as we had a backfeed going in to it from the way we'd wired in the boost solenoid. This wouldn't allow the ecu to switch off to reset itself before start-up. A quick wiring mod and it was sorted. I stepped well back at this point as electrics really aren't my strong point :oops:

Just as we got going, the engine stalled after a pull and wouldn't start up again. No CELS and all was running fine before hand so it had us puzzled for a moment until we realised that everything was a little too quiet. The noisy Walbro fuel pump wasn't running, and sure enough, no fuel pressure. I've got it wired straight from the battery so runs constantly when the ignition is on. Quick check of the fuse showed that it had blown. Completely my fault for fitting a lesser rated fuse than I should have. Replaced, and off we go again...

Got to ~300whp at ~1 bar (just actuator pressure) before having a break for a quick fuel up. This meant being able to open her up a bit on the road for the first time since fitting the link ecu. She drove really well in the limited run to and from the petrol station. Very progressive boost but felt strong once my foot was really planted.
After the break, Chris introduced the boost solenoid and that's when we began to have some more problems. Boost would spike, drop, rise again and then hold steady. After a quick check it was found to be the wastegate actuator that was at fault meaning that we had to call it a day until a replacement is fitted.

Promising results before that though so im confident we'll see some really strong figures.
Intake temps were still well in the 20's too which was really good.
Hoping to push it to about 1.5 bar and also introduce the w/m injection.

We left the car with Chris and headed home today. I'll be heading back up on the train on Saturday to hopefully pick up a fully mapped car :pray: :mrgreen:

Also, while looking at the actuator I noticed that the turbo's compressor housing has GT28R71 A/R .60 stamped into it. I was always under the impression that it was a GT2860RS. Unsure of the exhaust housing size and I'm not really all that clued up on turbo specs/sizes but I'm assuming the 71 means that my max power should actually be slightly greater than we were expecting/hoping for? Image Any light shed on this would be greatly appreciated :D

ashley

Post by ashley »

Good start to your dyno time, looking forwards to seeing what it does with some real boost :mrgreen: :thumleft:

The GT2860RS has a compressor wheel with a 60mm exducer (outer diameter), and on the larger AR compressor housing will bottle out at ~350-360hp.

The GT2871R has the same 53.9mm turbine wheel, but with a larger 71mm exducer compressor wheel, and on the largest turbine housing will bottle out at more like 400hp (although they do a version with the same 71mm exducer, but a larger inducer compressor wheel with a higher trim and will run more like 470hp).

HTH :thumleft:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Thanks for that Ashley :thumleft: I'm looking forward to it too. A bit gutted that I won't be there to watch it get done but Chris has promised to make some videos of it for me so it's not all bad :mrgreen:

I guess we'll roughly be able to work out which turbo it is from the results then as I believe that's the limiting factor on the car now.
Are those figures flywheel power or wheel power?

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

JAAASH wrote:
Are those figures flywheel power or wheel power?

flywheel dude :thumleft:

I just niticed it is a Hub dyno you are using to get the car mapped ?

So is it 300 bhp at the hubs you are seeing ?

Why did you travel so far to get the car mapped ? surely there were places closer to you :-k

Looking forward to next wekend i bet :mrgreen:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Cheers Martin. That's a shame, wheel power would have been a lot nicer :lol:

Ye hub dyno. Real neat bit of kit. And ye 300 at the hubs so far.

I spoke to a few companies closer and did a lot of online researching and decided that I'd be happiest taking it to Chris. His knowledge of the Link software is awesome so I decided it was worth the journey to have it done right.

Cant wait till next weekend. Fingers crossed that it all goes smoothly this time :lol:

Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Waiting with keen interest buddy, i'm sure you know why :D
JD

Post by JD »

I'd be interested to see if you get an even EGT and AFR across all 4 cylinders - if only to prove further to myself that my 4-port set-up is a complete waste of time and money :lol:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Odin_S wrote:Waiting with keen interest buddy, i'm sure you know why :D

:wink:

JD wrote:I'd be interested to see if you get an even EGT and AFR across all 4 cylinders - if only to prove further to myself that my 4-port set-up is a complete waste of time and money :lol:

No way of knowing on my build unfortunately. Im not measuring EGT's and my AFR will be a combination of all 4 cylinders.

Oh I almost forgot, I took a picture for you the other day of the injection side of the w/m. I tried to keep the tubing low down and out the way for cleanliness. It goes through a flow sensor for my Aem w/m failsafe gauge and then into the intercooler pipe that you so kindly supplied :mrgreen:

Last edited by JAAASH on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

20s c intake temps on a sidemount??

i cant believe that for a second.

:?

sure that isnt measurements at the filter and not inside the inlet manifold?

there is surely something amiss there.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

jimGTS wrote:20s c intake temps on a sidemount??

No fc king chance ... end of [-X

ive taken intake charge temp .. and no way bud .
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

2mad wrote:
jimGTS wrote:20s c intake temps on a sidemount??

No fc king chance ... end of [-X

ive taken intake charge temp .. and no way bud .

at higher boost all the side mounts i have were around +30 degree C above ambient. 1.5 bar was the limit...
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Alright ye, I must be lying, sorry lads :^o :roll:

I'm just relaying what I saw on screen. It was 26 degrees from memory. We did think that something may be amiss but haven't investigated any further yet as we have the actuator issue to sort.

I'm using a triumph air temp sensor for anyone interested. I actually got most of the info for it from an old thread of yours Jim :thumleft: So it should be calibrated correctly, but we'll have to double check.

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Remember you only ran 1bar as well, I think we're all assuming the boost was beyond that :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

JAAASH wrote:Alright ye, I must be lying, sorry lads :^o :roll:

I'm just relaying what I saw on screen. It was 26 degrees from memory. We did think that something may be amiss but haven't investigated any further yet as we have the actuator issue to sort.

I'm using a triumph air temp sensor for anyone interested. I actually got most of the info for it from an old thread of yours Jim :thumleft: So it should be calibrated correctly, but we'll have to double check.

those speedy sensors usually show higher temps than stock ones because it reacts so fast.
not saying your lieing with what you saw, just saying the "measurement" cant have been taken in the stock location.
sure their probe wasnt put next to the ic, or by the filter, or something like that? or if taken from the ecu, sure he wasnt reading the "filter/intake" temp sensors reading and not the MAT sensors?

if sidemounts could do inlet temps of mid 20s, NOONE would be going to chargecoolers or boot mounts.

:eye:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

In all fairness, he was only running low boost and the weather in glasgow was pretty chilly last weekend, maybe it is not far off what he saw :wink:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

So How did it go Josh ?

Actually, when i think about the distance involved you are probably still on the road :oops:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Martin wrote:So How did it go Josh ?

Actually, when i think about the distance involved you are probably still on the road :oops:

Just got home. Too tired to write now. I'll update tomorrow. Safe to say im pretty happy though. And theres still more to come \:D/

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

JAAASH wrote:
Martin wrote:So How did it go Josh ?

Just got home. Too tired to write now. I'll update tomorrow. Safe to say im pretty happy though. And theres still more to come \:D/

And the outcome was ? :eye:

Return to “Member Profiles”