[FINALIZED] MR2 MK2Rev3 GTS Turbo Tintop Caribbean Blue - Engine rebuild

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Spawn

MR2 MK2Rev3 GTS Turbo Tintop Caribbean Blue - Engine rebuild

Post by Spawn »

Hello all.

I may regret this, however, the time has come to let my pride and joy go.

I have owned the car for 4 years after purchasing from Toxo here in Imoc, and this is my 3rd MR2. Since owning the car I loved every minute, the bad moments as well as the good. In my opinion this is one of the nicest looking MR2s available right now, and possibly has the most history of any MR2 for sale in the UK. (I've moved all the relevant info from the forum with the history in to a Word document which I will look to upload).

Rev3 GTS Turbo Tintop in Caribbean Blue (1994).
The car is HPI clear (no finance on it and it's never been any category of write off).

Odometer currently reads 101,500 miles.
MOT December (No advisories if I recall correctly).

The car has 2 keys and 2 alarm fobs (plus thatcham certificate).

Engine:
ST205 Chargecooler conversion (as documented here:http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103914 )
ST205 ECU (engine warning lights for chargecooler system and a proven 15bhp power increase + safer fuelling)
Berk exhaust and flexi section
Ceramic coated Blitz cast decat pipe (will NEVER crack)
Ceramic coated turbo elbow
Ceramic coated exhaust manifold
CT20b turbo (rebuilt with steel parts, new bearings and seals by Toxo before my ownership)
Ceramic coated exhaust housing
Polished compressor housing
Gizzmo Phenolic intake spacer
Blitz intake SUS iduction air filter
HKS SSQV dumpvalve
SFS/Pacific Works intake hose set
GTech fan kit using 2 SPAL fans
SPAL PWM V3 fan controller (variably controls spal fan speeds based on water temp)
TRD Oil cap
Stef Derner clamping speedo converter and delimiter
New alternator a year or so ago
New cambelt

Transmission:
E153 LSD gearbox
TRD torque mounts supplied by Fensport
Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel supplied by Century Motorsport
ARP Flywheel Bolts
Goodridge braided clutch hose supplied by bobhatton
Speedsource shifter bearings and base bushes supplied by sbits

Suspension:
Rev1 rebuildable struts
Koni adjustable inserts
TRD top mounts
Eibach springs
All supplied and fitted by Century Motorsport and aligned by Wheels In Motion
Fully polybushed using Prothane polybushes (inc ARBs, as perhttp://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=146258 )
Cusco front tension arms and camber adjustment bolts, making the suspension more adjustable

Exterior:
Border style front bumper supplied by Pacific Works
TOMs style sideskirts supplied by JeffD
Genuine Airwalker rear bumper
Raybrig headlamps
96+ clear sidelights
96+ heated retracting mirrors (these are a combination of 96+ UK spec glass and JDM retracting mirrors) (heated element needs wiring in)
MR2 roadster 'eagle' badge
4-brake light rear conversion, rear fog using a Toyota UKDM rear fog light switch with the UK rear fog indicator in the instrument cluster (i.e. all looks factory)
Rev5 rear spoiler
UK front numberplate mount to maximise airflow to radiators

Brakes, Tyres and Wheels:
Kei Racing Evo wheels in hypersilver 17 x 7.5
Goodridge braided hoses supplied by bobhatton
Refurbed front brake calipers (done approx 10k miles)
Completely rebuilt all the brake sliders and boots and carriers etc with new parts from Toyota, this cars brakes will not stick or jam for years and years to come
Genuine Toyota discs all round (all shims, clips and springs present), toyota pads on the rear EBC Red pads on the front (rears can be supplied with the car)
Cusco brake master cylinder stopper
20mm hubcentric wheel spacers on the fronts
Toyo T1R 225/45/16 on the rears
Tyre Tread - Front 6mm and 5.5mm. Rear 4.5mm and 4.5mm
Rolled rear arches

Interior:
Omori 45mm boost gauge installed in stock location
TRD/Recaro replica heated reclining seats
Black headlining / sun visors
HKS CAMP engine monitoring system
HKS CAMP junction box
HKS CAMP boost pressure sensor
HKS CAMP temperature sensor
TRD gearknob
Rhon leather gearstick and handbrake gaitors
Stainless Steel Dial Rings
Toad Ai606 Thatcham Category 1 alarm
Toad alarm 'security' LED moved into OEM position in instrument cluster (as perhttp://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=128031 )
Falcon total closure module (as per http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=121197 )
Falcon electronic boot release (can open boot from alarm fob without disarming rest of car)

Audio:
Kenwood DNX-7200 double din touchscreen satnav
Kenwood KCA-BT200 bluetooth hands free module
Reversing camera
Ipod adapter (Ipod control via head unit)

Other Junk:
Has original JDM flare in passenger footwell and most of the original Toyota toolkit. Also has original Toyota optional boot mat. Space saver spare wheel.

Car has NO ABS, NO AIRBAGS, NO TRACTION/CRUISE CONTROL.

The car has an extra (4th!!) fusebox in the boot, securely housing the electrics for the boot release, chargecooler pump, fan kit and rear foglights.

dyno'd at 284bhp at stock boost at Surrey Rolling Road in 2010.

Photos:

Some history:

I am the second UK owner. The car was imported by Toxo - the below is some relevant information of the car from Toxos original sale ad:

Imported for me by Tom Solan at Northampton Vehicle Imports in 2006 - seehttp://www.nvicars.co.uk/ - a reputable importer of MR2s and an affiliate on IMOC. I am the only UK owner (although I think for importing purposes NVI might be listed as an owner). The car had all conversion work required for the SVA carried out by NVI and was converted to MPH at the same time. It was supplied on-the-road, with a full MOT and 6 months tax. When I purchased the car it had covered 53,000 miles. The car was then garaged for a year before I could afford to insure it and use it on the road

Most cars of this age have a varied history and this one is no exception - it has had a few scrapes! I discovered that it's definitely had some repair work done to it in Japan prior to being imported. However this was done to a very high standard and is nothing to be concerned about. The car's also been in the middle of a 3-car shunt on the M1 - again, repaired to a high standard this time at the bodyshop of my choice. Over £1500 was spent on the car at this time and I have the receipts to prove it in the service history. It does still have some superficial sill damage underneath one of the skirts - both myself and the bodyshop didn't deem this significant enough to warrant cutting the sill to pieces as it hasn't even pierced the paintwork.

The car spent a few months off the road last year, while I got the turbo rebuilt, and the exhaust parts ceramic coated. When it was reassembled it transpired that some rust had fallen from the exhaust manifold into the head and the valves wouldn't seal anymore due to the damage. The head was rebuilt by Pacific Works and the car reassembled. All gaskets in the intake and exhaust system were replaced during this period with new, genuine Toyota parts, and the Hose From Hell was replaced. A Gizzmo phenolic spacer was installed in place of the inlet manifold gasket, to reduce intake charge temps. The injectors were ultrasonically cleaned. The next time I changed the oil on the car I found some swarf in the oil, so I got Rogue (who have now moved quite close to me!) to whip the bottom end apart and check for any damage. The engine came back with a clean bill of health after an oil pump rebuild and has been faultless ever since.

To give you some kind of idea into the way this car has been treated and the money I spend on looking after it, off the top of my head the car has had:

New Toyota sidelights - old ones were mouldy (Jun 2011, £100)
New ignition coil, rotor arm, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, fuel filter all genuine Toyota (Jun 2011)
New coolant filler neck and radiator cap (Jun 2011)
New front ARB droplinks (Jun 2011, me, £60 - NOT FITTED YET)
Bodyshop paint correction and tidying up the front bumper, and 2 years worth of stone chips / car park dings (Jun 2011, £625)
SPAL fan controller (May 2011, £110)
New wheel bearing (genuine Toyota kit) and wheel alignment performed by WIM (May 2011, £200)
Front suspension arms replaced with new genuine Toyota & Cusco adjustable parts (Apr 2011, £850)
Coolant flush with Toyota Longlife and new genuine Toyota thermostat and gasket (Apr 2011, me)
Kenwood KCA-BT200 bluetooth interface fitted (Apr 2011, me, £90)
Engine bearings and head inspection, oil flush, new oil + filter etc (March 2011, Rogue Motorsport, £500)
Stef Speedo delimiter installed (March 2011, me, £70)
Oil changed again (+ filter, genuine, Jan 2011)
Complete head rebuild incl acid dip, new seals, pressure test etc and reassembly of engine with newly rebuilt/coated exhausts parts (Nov 2010, Pacific Works, £950) **HFH replaced at this point
Turbo rebuilt by bobhatton and balanced by Universal Turbos (Oct 2010, £300)
Turbo compressor housing polished
Turbo housing, exhaust manifold, turbo elbow and blitz decat ceramic coated (Sep 2010, Zircotec, £350)

Oil + filter, rotor arm, dizzy cap changed, genuine parts (June 2010, me, unknown mileage)

Kenwood stereo fitted (£350, early 2010, me)

New Apexi induction kit filter element (early 2010, me)

New genuine Toyota brake master cylinder (£250, Dec 2009, fitted by me)
DOT5.1 brake fluid flush (as above)
New genuine Toyota ECU water temp sensor (as above)

New genuine Toyota distributor cap (Late 2009 on 72000 miles, fitted by me)
New genuine Toyota rotor arm (as above)
New genuine Toyota HT leads incl. king lead (as above)
New NGK grade 7 spark plugs (as above)
Brakes International refurbished rear brake calipers (as above)
New genuine Toyota rear discs (as above)
New genuine Toyota rear pads (as above)
New Goodridge braided brake hoses (as above)

New genuine Toyota oil pump (late 2009 on 72000 miles, Pacific Works)
New genuine Toyota water pump (as above)
New genuine Toyota driveshaft seals (as above)
New genuine TRD engine torque mounts (as above)
Oil change for 5w40 Fuchs Silkolene Pro S (as above)
New genuine Toyota oil filter (as above)
Fidanza flywheel fitted with ARP flywheel bolts, clutch inspected with "plenty of life left" (as above)
Goodridge braided clutch hose fitted, clutch bled (as above)
Sump and strainer cleaned and refitted (as above)
Gearbox front torque mounting point reinforced (known weakness on E153 gearbox, as above)

New Gates cambelt (May 2009 on 68000 miles, Pacific Works) Note that I was told the cambelt had been changed before importing, but wanted to be extra sure)
Oil change for 5w40 Fuchs Silkolene Pro S (May 2009 on 68000 miles, me)
New genuine Toyota oil filter (as above)
Complete coolant flush using genuine Toyota LongLife coolant (as above)
Gearbox oil change to Redline MT-90 (as above)
An all important magnetic sump plug!

Early 2009 the car was detailed for a whole day by Ben (Tiny) who does 3S/TGT's detailing - results here: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=114531This has had a lasting effect on the car and it looks stunning when polished with Autoglym HD Wax as I do. Since then the car's bodywork has been looked after by Towcester Coachworks whos work is excellent.

In a nutshell, this is a well sorted rev3 turbo, with a proven history of being well serviced with genuine parts, producing excellent power at stock boost levels, with every common problem that occurs with MK2 MR2s already addressed. The hose from hell has been replaced, the brake sliders and calipers are new, the alternator is new, the droplinks are new, the suspension bushes are new, the ignition coil is new, the turbo seals and valve stem seals are new. There is no rust around the sills or the chassis rails anywhere on the car, even the 'cancer bars' look like new.

Since my own owner ship the car has received a new battery and alternator, and has been serviced yearly (plugs, rotar arm, distributor cap, ht leads, fully synthetic oil).

I have added the wheels as listed above and also the Rev5 rear spoiler.

There was a problematic earth so I added added a second earth strap to the battery which resolved the problem.

Rear Wheel bearings replaced.

Switch added to stop the aerial activating every time the ignition is turned on.

Front brakes starting sticking, after an attempted repair which worked for so long I ordered some recently refurbed callipers and had these fitted.

around 99,000 miles I noticed some oil loss, which lead to a compression test revealing poor results. At which point the it was decided I would repair rather than break the car for parts. The engine was rebuilt by me, new genuine piston, piston ring, head gasket, bottom end shells - all receipts in a huge folder and all documented here (please take the time to read): http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=
At the same time the cambelt was changed and timed up.

Since the rebuild the car has been absolutely spot on. Recently the charge cooler rad developed a leak and has therefore been replaced.

Due to the rad replacement the car has not been ran for nearly 4 weeks now, and I therefore need to give it a clean before any viewings. I am also due to change the oil which I plan to do this week.

The complete history of the car can be found in the link below which speaks for itself:
http://www.outlawjapclub.co.uk/forum/sh ... .php?t=506

Bad points:

Bumper has had something spilt on it in the past and therefore the paint work is not great in one area. (damaged before my ownership)
The bumper has a crack (damaged before my ownership)
Drivers seat shows some wear
Engine lid and bonnet have some minor areas that need touching up.

The car is 20 years old so please don't expect an immaculate example. I will get some photos of these bad points asap.

I think I have covered most things (using much information from the previous ad by Toxo :P).

Please feel free to contact me on 07817 923 244 or [email protected]

Price £3,600 - In no hurry to sell as I have just re-insured. If it doesn't sell, I'll keep it. The only reason for the sale is that I am looking for an RX7 or possibly a kit car of sorts.

Based near Derby.

Rob

(apologise for any spelling and punctuation errors above, it's late and I am yet to check through the email).
Last edited by Spawn on Sun May 24, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spawn

Re: [FINALIZED] MR2 MK2Rev3 GTS Turbo Tintop Caribbean Blue - Engine rebuild

Post by Spawn »

Evening all,

Location now added (Derby).

Pics of the bad points below:

Engine lid:

Scratch on wing mirror:

Drivers seat:

Bonnet (had to get close in to make this out):

Crack on bumper:

Small scuff on front bumper:

Rear bumper:

Minor defect on door handle:

As she stands tonight:

Also a couple more pics:

Interior:

New chargecooler rad:

Thanks for looking.

Rob
Conreid84

Post by Conreid84 »

Hey Rob,

Is the MR2 still up for sale?
Spawn

Post by Spawn »

Sure is.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Forgive me if ive missed it, what boost is this running?
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Gullzter wrote:Forgive me if ive missed it, what boost is this running?

"dyno'd at 284bhp at stock boost at Surrey Rolling Road in 2010."

I was very tempted by this but I got offered a car I have wanted for a long long time so bought that instead. :eye:

Good luck with the sale, it does look very good. :thumleft:
No 2 :(
Spawn

Post by Spawn »

As Rich has said the car is running stock boost. :thumleft:
Spawn

Post by Spawn »

After not having the chance to sort a few final things out, today I have sorted a couple of loose undertrays, and changed the oil as I had mentioned I would do.

Also checked the Tyre Tread - Front 6mm and 5.5mm. Rear 4.5mm and 4.5mm. Toyo proxes on the rear, some random on the front (which are only on as I needed to get through an MOT).

As I don't have a receipt for the oil (I have accumulated a spare over time) I took a couple of pics:

I also took her for a good blast to blow any cobwebs away as she has been stood for the past few weeks.

Pulls strong through all gears and is now ready to go.

I will now be using the car for a few work trips so the mileage will increase.

Rob :thumleft: :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Wow. What a cracking deal - if I was in the market I'd snap this up. Glws.
Spawn

Post by Spawn »

androo007 wrote:Wow. What a cracking deal - if I was in the market I'd snap this up. Glws.

You need to get in the market for one, I hear its a cracking time to buy right now :thumleft: 8)
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Can i have 2 MR2's? :pray:

I know what the Mrs will say...... =; [-( [-X ](*,) :pale:
Spawn

Post by Spawn »

Just don't tell her until its to late :)
jjarman

Post by jjarman »

Why couldn't it be a T-Bar :/
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

lovely car, just what I was looking for at the start of the year but decent tubbies were very thin on the ground then (still are!) so I bought a 350Z instead.
Don't suppose you want a 350Z instead? (with cash my way obviously)
L.J.F

Post by L.J.F »

I am surprised this hasn't sold yet as its a lovely car, I am in the market at the moment and have been tempted by this but I have my heart set on a t-bar turbo.
Spawn

Post by Spawn »

Drop me the details on the 350z. It's not something I am specifically after but have always fancied one.

I was after a T-bar, but this was too good to turn down at the time. Plus, it rains all summer!
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

Spawn wrote:Drop me the details on the 350z. It's not something I am specifically after but have always fancied one.

I was after a T-bar, but this was too good to turn down at the time. Plus, it rains all summer!

PM sent..
Spawn

Post by Spawn »

Deposit taken :thumleft:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Great stuff, hope its a good home :clap:
kevin26

Post by kevin26 »

Thanks Rob, it's a great car, I'm looking forwards to being the new owner!

Return to “MR2s for Sale”