MK1 MR2 with V6 3vz - Gearbox question

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SteveHo

MK1 MR2 with V6 3vz - Gearbox question

Post by SteveHo »

Can an E153 Turbo gearbox be fitted to a 3vz when running the engine in a mk1 mr2?

It currently has a mk2 rev1 n/a box fitted and was wondering if it was a straight swap or if you need to change driveshafts etc as well.

It seems the most cost effective way to run a LSD as n/a LSD boxes are few and far between.

Thanks
PW@Woodsport

Re: MK1 MR2 with V6 3vz - Gearbox question

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It will fit the engine, however you will need to change the flywheel/clutch to suit the turbo gearbox, use turbo driveshafts which will need St185 outer Cv joints instead of the Mk2 turbo ones, the supported shaft bearing will need relocating 8mm towards the diff with machining needed for the supported shaft clip.

Gear cables will be different and it will be a lot heavier than the NA gearbox, plus the gearing will be worse.

If you want an LSD i would just fit a Mk3 LSD into your current gearbox.
SteveHo

Post by SteveHo »

Thanks for the information Paul.

Looks like a MK3 LSD in the current box makes more sense.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It really is the best way, i've built hundreds of them, and although not an easy job it gives you the best diff in the best gearbox for that engine.

I also highly recommend our extended 5th gear mod which will take your 80mph cruising RPM from 4000 down to 3200, makes sense to do that while the box is apart and it just makes it perfect.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Just remembered you have a rev1 NA box, you will need to switch to Rev2 onwards 5th gear hub and synchro parts to do that 5th gear, rev1 bits don't work with that.
MilesH

Post by MilesH »

Paul, how do these engines in a mk1 hold up to sustained use in terms of wheel bearings, driveshafts etc. It is an old car designed for a lot less horsepower, are the mk1 components up to the job of the additional bhp?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Hi Miles, there is absolutely no problem at all, i personally run a supercharged 2gr-fe in a Mk1 without issue.

The only thing we strengthen is the front and rear crossmembers where the torque mounts bolt up, on bigger HP engines these areas have been known to crack, so we use spreader plates on those areas.

Everything else behaves perfectly fine.
MilesH

Post by MilesH »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Hi Miles, there is absolutely no problem at all, i personally run a supercharged 2gr-fe in a Mk1 without issue.

The only thing we strengthen is the front and rear crossmembers where the torque mounts bolt up, on bigger HP engines these areas have been known to crack, so we use spreader plates on those areas.

Everything else behaves perfectly fine.

Cheers Paul!

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”