[All] [Generic] Car PC

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [All] [Generic] Car PC

Post by Ryan S »

Draven wrote:I'm not sure on their compatibilty with windows 8 tablets. I bought a USB DAC to use with my tablet. I didn't want to have any remains of a Head unit in the car. The DAC works as a pre amp and drastically improves the quality of the sound coming out. In fact i'd say it sounds better now than it did with my Sony Headunit.

i've also custom modded the cigarette lighter. It now has a USB extension cable running to it i've cut up a regular usb to cigarette lighter connector and glued it inside. So i can plug a USB memory stick into it and it gets mounted on my tablet.

yeah i'm gonna try a few things with the sound before doing anything, if i can get away with headphone jack then i will but USB options are always better.
Draven

Post by Draven »

:thumleft: good luck dude. It was a frustrating project i'll admit but certainly kicks ass when you get it working.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Draven wrote::thumleft: good luck dude. It was a frustrating project i'll admit but certainly kicks ass when you get it working.

yeah deffo man, I actually read on a car PC forum that one guy using one of these has GPS and pretty much every single thing you can use a car PC for so it's plenty capable, I think I might get a GPS module for it but that'll be about it :)

Oh, just a quick question, what are you using to power your USB charger? just switched live from ignition? any fancy adapters or anything?
Draven

Post by Draven »

GPS is a must. used with wase means you've got a built in navigational system. Also if you use the equivlent of Android tracker you could locate your car had it been stolen. :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Draven wrote:GPS is a must. used with wase means you've got a built in navigational system. Also if you use the equivlent of Android tracker you could locate your car had it been stolen. :thumleft:

yeah i think i'll get a wee GPS module, I'm still waiting on USB hub arriving (15-29 days haha) so I can't really do anything until that arrives, oh, and there's the small matter of getting the engine back in the car and getting it on the road again!! So no real rush, what i will do is get everything sorted before it gets anywhere near the car, then it's just a simple install :)
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Draven wrote:I've got a nexus 7 tablet.. It uses a custom rom which puts the tablet in a deep sleep when the charge is switched off and powers it up when power is returned. Using a OTG cable. It works great soon as you turn the ignition on it switches the tablet on and begins playing music from the point it last left off.

I would recommend using Poweramp to play muisc on the tablet it is much better than VLC for this purpose.

Ooo i just found a picture.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae89/demonknight190/f634610e-ea59-47da-8a01-e55e4f7f5af7.jpg[/URL]

the problem is the custom rom only works on the Nexus 7. It also includes a really neat video shutdown when you turn it off. Displays an animated Toyota video.

I used wase for navigation also as it doesn't need to download the maps everytime you use the tablet as mine only has wifi. I've also installed BTSync which syncronises all my music with my home pc when I pull in the drive via the wifi.

:thumleft:

Thats very cool, nice work.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

gavsdavs wrote:
Draven wrote:I've got a nexus 7 tablet.. It uses a custom rom which puts the tablet in a deep sleep when the charge is switched off and powers it up when power is returned. Using a OTG cable. It works great soon as you turn the ignition on it switches the tablet on and begins playing music from the point it last left off.

I would recommend using Poweramp to play muisc on the tablet it is much better than VLC for this purpose.

Ooo i just found a picture.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae89/demonknight190/f634610e-ea59-47da-8a01-e55e4f7f5af7.jpg[/URL]

the problem is the custom rom only works on the Nexus 7. It also includes a really neat video shutdown when you turn it off. Displays an animated Toyota video.

I used wase for navigation also as it doesn't need to download the maps everytime you use the tablet as mine only has wifi. I've also installed BTSync which syncronises all my music with my home pc when I pull in the drive via the wifi.

:thumleft:

Thats very cool, nice work.

Forgot about this thread .. very nice Draven
wenguin

Post by wenguin »

I used this guy's install in an MX5 as a template for my config, not sure if it'll be much use but he does power his tablet, hub, 2 action cameras and a separate GPS module so maybe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kr6pubrRM
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

wenguin wrote:I used this guy's install in an MX5 as a template for my config, not sure if it'll be much use but he does power his tablet, hub, 2 action cameras and a separate GPS module so maybe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kr6pubrRM

the plugable pr08 USB hub is the solution if I'm totally stuck, from my research though the hubs I've ordered should work ok, the hub takes the charger plus gives me an extra 4 full size USB ports, I think i have solution to my mounting problem though, if I just mount the tablet completely flush with the mr2 trim then take out a wee notch to access the power button then it should be ok.

My other issue is not having the mr2 dashboard handy to do any of this, it's in the garage full of parts, :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

got my wee USB hub today, works a treat, I've yet to test it with the Link ECU but it's working with every other USB device I've tried, so instead of a single micro USB I now have 4 full sized USB ports :)
v1xz

Post by v1xz »

Don't suppose there is an app to read ecu of a 1993 rev2?
i like MR2
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Have a look at the OBD group buy thing, there is bound to be something though, if you're using windows there is bound to be all manner of fault code readers etc :)

Return to “ICE and Security”