Josh's Rev 3 Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Re: Josh's Rev 3 Turbo

Post by JAAASH »

Sooo, bit of an update.
I've been planning/buying the parts for my fuel system upgrade over the last couple of months.

Postman's been busy :mrgreen:
Pretty sure I've got everything I need now.

Quick list :-

Walbro 255L Fuel pump
Blitz 850cc Injectors (Freshly cleaned and flow tested by Injectortune)
Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuelab Fuel Filter
Fuelab Fuel Pressure Gauge
-6AN fuel lines and fittings to go from rail to tank, replacing all hard lines.

Made a bit of a start a couple of weekends ago by removing pretty much everything fuel related, including the dreaded fuel tank - Which wasn't actually that bad apart from one fitting near the rear firewall. Must of spent the best part of an hour trying to get it undone but it just seemed to be getting tighter. I ended up rounding it off, losing my temper and just cutting the line :lol:

Jacked up and ready to go

Finally got the bu88er out :D

Good job I'm replacing it all :oldtongue: :oops:

Last edited by JAAASH on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Made a start on fitting the fuel pump and modifying the fuel pickup for the bigger -6AN lines today. Not finished yet, still needs fettling here and there. I'm also waiting on some stat-o-seals to arrive before final fitment.
Pump is all wired in and ready. Going to delete the fuel pump resistor and relay from the engine bay, once the tank is re-installed. More on that when I get that far though.

Quick pic of how things currently look.
(I'll get some better ones before final installation)

I've also bought a cooling mist water/methanol injection kit. So once all the fuel system is plumbed back in, I'll make a start on fitting that.
Still unsure how I'm going to do it yet - i.e. 4 smaller injectors in the inlet manifold runners or 1 large injector in the cold pipe just after the intercooler.
(kind of hoping JD will get his sorted first so I can see whats involved in the 4 port option)

Obviously going to need to go standalone ecu once all of the above is fitted.
Planning on going for a Link G4 Storm. More on that when the time comes :thumleft:
Last edited by JAAASH on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

JD

Post by JD »

I'd better get a move on :)
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

JD wrote:I'd better get a move on :)

No pressure :wink:

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Small update.

Fuel pump upgrade was finished and fitted back into the tank.

Tank is fitted back in to the car and all plumbed in. Still a bit of wiring to finish as I'm now pulling the power directly from the battery via a relay located under the ashtray.

New fuel filter fitted into original holder and fitted in oem position

All of the new fuel lines are made up and ready to be fitted.

Injector resistor, fuel pump resistor and fuel pump relay all removed. All wires soldered together and tucked back out of the way.

New FPR fitted in place of the removed resistors.

Final pieces of the injectors have arrived, so they're good to go

Only thing holding me up now is the fuel rail. I've decided to paint it. Bought some dark candy apple red to tidy up some things in the engine bay so decided to practice on the rail as it's barely noticeable when fitted so doesn't matter if I do a terrible job :lol:
Just needs a final lacquer and it's good to go.
The finish could be a lot better but im reasonably happy with the results.

Base coat

3-4 layers of the candy

Rail should be fitted next weekend and I'll be able to make a start on the water/meth injection system :thumleft:
Last edited by JAAASH on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

this is progressing really nicely, the fuel tank is a pain isn't it?

I had the same pain with the fitting you rounded off - only I snapped a flare nut spanner when trying to undo it. ended up leaving it connected and undoing the hose from the bottom of the fuel filter and pulling it out as one.
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Cheers Rob. Ye the tank isn't a job I want to be doing again in a hurry!

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

A little more progress - Made a start on the water/meth injection kit now too. Figured out where/how I want to mount the pump/tank etc. Need to make up some brackets and waiting on some push fittings to arrive to route the lines how I want.
Also considering upgrading from a basic 10psi switch to a progressive controller.
Hopefully have it all plumbed in within the next couple of weeks :thumleft:

SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

Josh how are your carbon wrapped side strips holding up?

Im about to wrap mine gloss black but unsure whether I have to remove them completely or could get away with wrapping them on the car...

How did you go about yours? as I guess it would be better to take them off to wrap in behind the strips but not sure...sounds like a lot of extra hassle taking them off?
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

wikiz wrote:Josh how are your carbon wrapped side strips holding up?

Im about to wrap mine gloss black but unsure whether I have to remove them completely or could get away with wrapping them on the car...

How did you go about yours? as I guess it would be better to take them off to wrap in behind the strips but not sure...sounds like a lot of extra hassle taking them off?

Hey Ross, they're still looking good thanks, although I am thinking of taking them off and having them hydrodipped carbon instead for a more professional look.

I took mine off completely and wrapped all the way around otherwise they would have just looked crap. Would probably start peeling off pretty quick too.
It is a bit of hassle to remove them, but well worth it for a decent job :thumleft:

SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

JAAASH wrote:
wikiz wrote:Josh how are your carbon wrapped side strips holding up?

Hey Ross, they're still looking good thanks, although I am thinking of taking them off and having them hydrodipped carbon instead for a more professional look.

I took mine off completely and wrapped all the way around otherwise they would have just looked crap. Would probably start peeling off pretty quick too.
It is a bit of hassle to remove them, but well worth it for a decent job :thumleft:

Ok sounds like a hassle, I think I might look into having them sprayed on the car then :thumleft:
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Not had much time on the car recently but I've made a little progress on the w/m injection system.

I've decided to go a slightly different way with the mounting as I want to keep as much of my boot as possible.
So the pump, solenoid, filter, etc will all be under the carpet beneath the aerial and the tank and controller will also be tucked into the corner as much as possible.
Few pictures to explain what I mean. Also, the brackets that I've made to hold everything.

Bracket for the pump and solenoid

Here it is in situ, with pipes and filter connected.

This is where I'm going to mount the tank.

And a final picture of the brackets finished and painted.

Pump and progressive controller just need wiring in now and then it can all be final fitted :thumleft:

I'm halfway through fitting all my gauges too so I'll update with pictures in the next week or two.

Should be ready to start her up with the new ECU in a couple of weeks too.

Mapping is booked for 25/26th of April :mrgreen: So excited about this! Taking it up to Chris Forbes at Dyna Tune in East Kilbride.

Should all be ready just in time for Japfest 8)

Also, bought a new daily last week as I was bored of driving the 1.9 TDI Golf.

Say hello to my new Subaru Impreza :mrgreen:
It's a UK, Turbo 2000. 93k on the clock. Pretty standard, bar decat and stainless exhaust and pink Showa STI suspension. Lots of fun to drive. Pretty thirsty though :pale: :lol:

Last edited by JAAASH on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

JD

Post by JD »

So not long now before you get on to hotrodding the scooby, then? :lol:

I might nick your idea for pump/solenoid/tank placement instead of just bolting it all the the bulkhead - much neater :)
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

JD wrote:So not long now before you get on to hotrodding the scooby, then? :lol:

It's so tempting. I keep looking at parts for it but need to resist. The mr2 is the money pit, not this :lol:
I may do the odd mod here and there in the summer when the mr2 is running but it'll only be minor aesthetics.

JD wrote:I might nick your idea for pump/solenoid/tank placement instead of just bolting it all the the bulkhead - much neater :)

Nope, not allowed. Only me sorry, haha.

How you getting on with yours?

JD

Post by JD »

Well, intake manifold is down at the workshop being drilled/welded/tapped for my totally gratuitous direct port setup. I'm gonna take the other one off the car today and clean out the ICV and throttle body. I'm also going to drain the fuel tank in preparation for dropping it. Ugh.
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

JD wrote:Well, intake manifold is down at the workshop being drilled/welded/tapped for my totally gratuitous direct port setup. I'm gonna take the other one off the car today and clean out the ICV and throttle body. I'm also going to drain the fuel tank in preparation for dropping it. Ugh.

Progress then :thumleft: Looking forward to seeing it done.

Ahh, the dreaded fuel tank :lol: It's not that bad really mate. I found the hardest part was getting it back in, especially on your own. An extra pair of hands would help out a lot. Enjoy :mrgreen:

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Little update.

Managed to get a few bits and pieces sorted on the car prior to it's journey up to Dyna Tune this weekend for mapping :mrgreen:

All the gauges and water/meth injection system are now fully wired in and final fitted. Although I can't take any credit for the wiring as it just boggles my mind. So my Dad spent most of the bank holiday weekend sorting it all out, as well as sorting the wiring for the ecu.
As a result of his hard efforts the car was now running :D So happy to hear it run after being off the road since September and with all the 'fiddling' that I had done in that time \:D/ Obviously just a generic 3sgte base map so was very lumpy buts it's a start.

Here's a little pic of the interior as it looks now. Almost forgot to mention the new gear knob ;) More of a show piece tbh but I'll see if I like it. Otherwise it'll sit in the glovebox and get swapped over for shows and shoots just because I think it looks cool :lol:

Ignore the state of the bodywork. She'll be getting a full detail very soon.

Before the car goes back on the road it needed a new front bumper as I sold my Airwalker bumper to 'Bolton' on here shortly after the car came off the road.
As it happens, I had a spare Airwalker that I was keeping should I ever need it. Although it was in quite a bad way. Some of you may remember it from earlier in this thread, being held together by many zip ties. So I took it down to the painter I used on the rest of my kit and had it looking like new in no time.

From this:

To this:

I also relocated the number plate, just to change things up a bit.

Next on my hit list was brakes. Just a simple discs and pads change....
Unfortunately, most likely due to the car sitting outside going nowhere for the last 6 months, it wasn't as simple as I hoped. A sticky front passenger carrier slider which resulted in me breaking the seal meant I had to raid my 'caliper parts bin' and luckily had a spare carrier. So that got painted red to match and refitted.
Onto the rears, passenger side fine, drivers side...solid ](*,) No spares this time so Peter Gidden to the rescue, who supplied a rear caliper and slider which my Dad was able to pick up on his way home from work (via a slight detour) so major thanks go out to both again.
With all 4 calipers now the right colour and freely moving I could finally swap the discs and pads.
Discs I got from MTEC Brakes and are grooved and dimpled with their special black protective coating.
I wanted to upgrade from OEM pads so was going to try some Carbotechs, but I kept seeing Bob (Hatton) mention Porterfields so I decided to get them instead. I chose the R4-S pads for anyone interested, which claim to be the ultimate fast road performance pad. So I've high expectations for these and look forward to giving them some abuse.

Couple of pics.

Discs and pads:

Before:

After:

I also gave all four wheel wells, struts and arches a good scrub. No sign of corrosion anywhere in the arches :D I will eventually have it all undersealed properly.

Rear tyres were down to the wear marks so decided to replace all four. After much research and even more disapproval from my father I bought a set of Nankang NS2R's in their 120 Treadwear Soft compound. Lot's a good reviews about these at the moment so once again, curiosity got the better of me and I had to try them.
205/45/16 up front and 235/40/17 on the rear. At £400 a set I thought that to be very reasonable for a set of road legal semi's.

Very much looking forward to the drive back from Scotland once the brakes are bed in and tyres scrubbed up :mrgreen:

Back to the ecu - I've been in constant contact with Chris Forbes (Dyna Tune) who will be mapping the car and he's been sending me tweaked maps based on some data logging as well as some internet trickery where he can take over my laptop and do some live tuning.
Next step was to get it out on the road for some more logs and tweaks. Car is running reasonably well now, comfortably cruising as normal speeds. I haven't tried any boost yet, for obvious reasons but at least the journey to Scotland won't be too painful now :lol:
Very happy with the service (and patience) from Chris so far. Highly recommended up to now.

Ok, so it turned into quite a long update, but hey ho O:) more to come next week :twisted:
Last edited by JAAASH on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

interested in seeing how you get on with the NS2R's, I've heard really good things about them :thumleft:

how do they measure up? there's quite a bit of difference in "real" tyre widths (i.e my 225/40 federal 595 evo on the laurel are as wide as the 245 Falkens on the back of the MR2)
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
JD

Post by JD »

Could you post some bay pics? I wanna see your water/meth install on that end :D
Nails

Post by Nails »

Not to keen on the number plate placement but the rest is really.good. reading about live mapping via laptops and interwebs is pretty amazing how far mapping has come on.

Return to “Member Profiles”