[Mk2] [Turbo] 6.5" Front speaker fitment mr2 mk2 sw20

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Coles92Mule

[Mk2] [Turbo] 6.5" Front speaker fitment mr2 mk2 sw20

Post by Coles92Mule »

Will 6.5" component speakers fit in the front door slots without any need to cut a hole in the door card.
want to keep the standard look?

cheers
rev3gtturbo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] 6.5" Front speaker fitment mr2 mk2 sw20

Post by rev3gtturbo »

I don't think there is a simple yes/no answer to that.

Some might fit the hole size but are too deep for the space available.
I have heard of MR2s with 6.5" door speakers but don't remember if they needed a bigger hole cut or spacers.

My previous MR2 had 6.5" speakers with no external changes to the door card.

Manufacturers change the speaker specs over the years so if buying brand new ones read the latest spec sheet for the dimensions. To be sure they will fit you will have to measure the speaker hole diameter/depth available in your doors.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

They will fit you just need to trim the back of the plastic on the door card and the door card along with a wooden adapter ring (as the most important part about fitting the speaker is the perfect seal around the speaker so the soundwaves from the back cannot get to the soundwaves from the front as they will cancel each other out)
I have added a cut out for the crossover to be mounted to the door behind the pocket.
I have cut the plastic out to show the woofer off purely for looks not necessity
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

www.stephenmason.com/cars/mr2audio.html

Woofers are about 1/2 way down the page.
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

I fitted these 6.5's to mine. I made up a 12mm thick mdf spacer, screwed it to the door using existing holes and screwed the speaker to the spacer.

Attempted to put on the door card and it didnt go on fully...so I trimmed away some of the inside of the door card as I also wanted it to look standard.

From the outside it just looks like nothing has changed but takes a little more time, however well worth upgrading to 6.5's imo

Black 94' GT-S Turbo
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

My old Rainbow SLX165's went under the stock doorcards no problem at all.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

wikiz wrote:I fitted these 6.5's to mine. I made up a 12mm thick mdf spacer, screwed it to the door using existing holes and screwed the speaker to the spacer.

Attempted to put on the door card and it didnt go on fully...so I trimmed away some of the inside of the door card as I also wanted it to look standard.

From the outside it just looks like nothing has changed but takes a little more time, however well worth upgrading to 6.5's imo

Looks great buddy .. nice install :D

Return to “ICE and Security”