Oil pump removal

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Oil pump removal

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hi,

Been trying to remove my oil pump today.

Undone all the bolts I think but it's not loose. Sump is off.

Has anyone got a photo showing what bolts need to come off?
SuperRedMR2

Re: Oil pump removal

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Where other than Toyota can I get an oil pump from?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Seriously get one from Toyota, it's a fit once item, you don't want to mess around with rubbish pattern parts on this kind of item as it can mean the difference between no issue and lunching your engine.

The oil pump is incredibly simple and shouldn't really need replacing. When Tom did mine he just checked it thoroughly.

Are you sure you need a new oil pump? Or have you damaged it when getting off the pulley etc?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

The oil pump is secured to the oil baffle by the RTV seal. This would have to be cut to allow the pump the slide off the crankshaft. Don't order a new pump until you have checked the old one. My engine had done 130k and the pump wasn't even worn so unless it has been butchered at some point I find it hard to see how yours could need replacing.

I posted a more detailed reply and picture in response to your question on my Resto thread on the Mk1 club forum.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I broke part of the front main seal getting the pulley off. Probably cannot use it in its state

I got it all off tonight but thank you for your response on the mk1 club. Greatly appreciated
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

If you mean the oil seal, that is a separate part to the pump and can be bought separately. As for the pump housing, so long as it is not holed or warped it ought to be re-useable.

They very rarely fail so if you cannot stretch to a new Toyota pump (no idea what they cost) I'd get a second hand Toyota unit rather than bother with a new pattern part.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hi,

I broke or chipped part of the housing the seal sits in.

It'll still sit in there fine but not sure I fancy reusing it. Will post a picture of it up tomorrow.

That baffle plate is flimsy as well.

Will also buy plastique to check my bearings.

I read on a how to on here to check bearing clearances that you should use sealant on the 'oil suction hole' - will the gasket not suffice?
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Pictures as promised.

I had to break the recess of the oil pump to actually get to the pulley.

But also broke the front main seal and chipped a bit of the recess that sits in as well.

With seal in

New pump from Toyota is £160 inc vat which I thought was very reasonable. Been very surprised at some of their prices recently.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”