Storing for winter

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dianet

Storing for winter

Post by Dianet »

Hi all,

Having had my 2nd Mr2 turbo for a whole 2 months I'm looking at putting it away for the winter.

Does anyone have any tips. It's a GT so I am concerned about the leather on the seats. I have a solar trickle charger to keep the battery alive and plan on covering everything in WD40.

Thanks
bigal

Re: Storing for winter

Post by bigal »

I've just put my tubby back on the road after storing it for 5 years and the only real problem I had was with the ECU that had melting? capacitors
in the ECU.
Even in a dry garage dampness will attack the car so a liberal spraying of wd40 and suchlike will definitely help :thumleft:
I didn't have any problems with the leather seats but my car was kept in a dry garage.
andrewgt

Post by andrewgt »

Maybe you could try that leather shampoo on them before putting it away. Just remember to check your coolant
2mad

Post by 2mad »

bigal wrote:I had was with the ECU that had melting? capacitors
in the ECU.

I had this happen with my rev2 ecu (can happen rev1 too i think) (no sure about rev3+) .. the electrolytes seep out of the large capacitors on to the circuit bored and course problems .. ie your cel light on permanently or intermittently , with no codes stored.

Quite a rare problem though .

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”