[Mk2] [Generic] Amp install location?

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

[Mk2] [Generic] Amp install location?

Post by SonicSW20 »

Hi all,

Need some ideas for amplifier install location. Previously I've had it on a board in the frunk, which was OK. Kind of fancy a change though.

Amp in question: http://www.rainbowcaraudio.com/ipaul4300.html

I'm also after a single Rainbow W165SLX - I've tried Rainbow Europe and their UK distributor and no one has got back to me. So if anyone knows of anyone who may want to sell theirs please let me know!
Nic

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Amp install location?

Post by Nic »

Mine is mounted underneath the passenger seat.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I personally find the boot to be the best place for the amp have a look here http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=120442
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Boot could work... How easy was it to run all the wires from the battery, HU etc to the boot? What's the best way to mount it?
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Good choice of amp with the ipaul, I'd guess your sub box will stop you doing what I've done but could you put it behind the drivers seat?
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

To run the rca speaker wires etc to the boot is quite easy remove the trim under the rear quarter window and use one of the holes
Or drill a new one
I used this to feed the wires past them through
Not bothering with rear speakers as they confuse the soundstage so sound deadened was applied
I took my power feed from the alternator at the same time putting extra 0 gauge feeds from alternator to battery and battery and engine earths
Here is my old amp board
The new one has a jbl1201.1 instead of the kacps521 and will be having a carpeted panel in front with holes to show the amps in a similar style to my frunk build
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

thomp1983 wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/thomp1983/new%20v6/20140727_201448_zpsdw8omrap.jpg[/URL]

Good choice of amp with the ipaul, I'd guess your sub box will stop you doing what I've done but could you put it behind the drivers seat?

No sub in mine, just components up front. I did toy with the idea of doing something with the storage boxes behind the seat, similar to the Toyota premium system but I was pretty happy with it as it was in the old car. I might revisit that though. I really don't want to have a full on sub box behind the seats.

EDIT: so is that amp just screwed straight in?
Last edited by SonicSW20 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

You don't want something like this then
you can do something like this
utilising the standard sub boxes (the grille will hide it
RyanRs wrote:

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

No, definitely not. T tops go there! I'm not into loud bass either really.

That second set of pics was pretty much what I was thinking of doing, but I never bothered in the end as I was happy with just the components, and I just didn't think they would add that much to the sound anyway.
shinny

Post by shinny »

I think I asked you on Facebook but you didn't spot it... how do the pair of sub boxes sound compared to a single sub behind the passenger seat?
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

shinny wrote:I think I asked you on Facebook but you didn't spot it... how do the pair of sub boxes sound compared to a single sub behind the passenger seat?

Sorry Mark I must have missed that :oops:
Firstly it will be down to the sub, box and amps used as all subs need the right size box and as I found the ready made mr2 enclosures are a bit small as they are narrow hence I had these made using the full width available to give the 1cuft each 10" kenwood sub needed
which sounded really good, wished I hadnt taken them out to put a 15 and a 12 in #-o then tried a single 10, then a 12 behind the passenger seat and missed my two tens. I then went for the kicker L5 square 10 dual voice coil in a sealed box and no longer missed the tens.
Then after some long chats with the technical guys at kicker we worked out the optimum box I could fit utilising an partially external port to fit and I say it is better than the two tens. Its not just louder but better sounding and you really feel it but the one sub on its own cost more than the two 10" kenwoods and the custom made boxes.
The box is really important if you have a decent box with say a jbl gt5 (a cheap but good sub) it will be a lot better than two expensive subs in small boxes. Just get somebody to build the right box.
Then you get to the amps where a lot of people underpower their subs and that is how the damage is done by under powering it and causing it to clip
RyanRs wrote:

thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
thomp1983 wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/thomp1983/new%20v6/20140727_201448_zpsdw8omrap.jpg[/URL]

No sub in mine, just components up front. I did toy with the idea of doing something with the storage boxes behind the seat, similar to the Toyota premium system but I was pretty happy with it as it was in the old car. I might revisit that though. I really don't want to have a full on sub box behind the seats.

EDIT: so is that amp just screwed straight in?

Yep that's just 4 screws straight through the firewall and a small self contained sub beneath it which is plenty for me nowadays

Return to “ICE and Security”