First trackday in the £500 MR2 tomorrow!

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

acf8181

First trackday in the £500 MR2 tomorrow!

Post by acf8181 »

So, even though a few bits aren't perfect i've took the plunge and signed up for Snetterton evening session tomorrow!

Have some track/race experience from 10 yrs ago, but never tracked my own car before, so went for the novice session! haha

Its standard, reckon i should still run it on high octane fuel or tis it not necessary? and perhaps slightly overfill with oil due to the long corner at coram? thoughts please?
Donato

Re: First trackday in the £500 MR2 tomorrow!

Post by Donato »

Just make sure your fluids are good, brakes are good and the car is generally healthy. If you got the basics down, you should be fine!
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

yep, it had new calipers just before i bought it, all fluids are fresh
nitrodave

Post by nitrodave »

awesome, have fun!

I've been thinking about a sub £500 NA for track use. you'll discover how good the bushes are and if the brakes are up to it.

One thing i would do at the very least is get some good brake pads on there and slightly overfill the oil. Normal road pads could knacker after just a few laps
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

yeah, i am gonna be watcing for that, is a chance they're already uprated though as has grooved and drilled discs fitted
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

My ST202 SS3 cost me £500 and she's got me through 4 trackdays so far without any serious issues (usual brakes, tyres etc). I use the car everyday as well. :thumleft:

Gotta love old toyotas. 8)
largie009

Post by largie009 »

Careful on standard brake pads, after 10 mins of track driving you will get bad brake fade!(if used correctly of course:P) although in not sure what snetterton is like on brakes, never been round! Have a heap of fun though!!! :mrgreen:
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

Had a great time!

Brakes were fine, however i kept overheating (despite a change of fluid a few weeks back), so something to investigate.

Did witness another MR2 die in flames though :(
JD

Post by JD »

acf8181 wrote:Had a great time!

Brakes were fine, however i kept overheating (despite a change of fluid a few weeks back), so something to investigate.

I did some googling and found a thread on PH stating that said bonfire had a can of petrol in the boot - could have been a bit worse :(

Any pics? (of you not the fire!)
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

JD wrote:
acf8181 wrote:Had a great time!

I did some googling and found a thread on PH stating that said bonfire had a can of petrol in the boot - could have been a bit worse :(

Any pics? (of you not the fire!)

well, they did say same over tannoy!!

not great pics, but here's a few (inc the bonfire from a distance)...

acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

just read that apparanetly the other mr2 fire originated in engine bay and didn't actually penetrate the fuel can.......just mentioning it so as to be slightly less hard on the poor bloke
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Never good to hear about an engine fire, but glad you had a good day...
JD

Post by JD »

acf8181 wrote:just read that apparanetly the other mr2 fire originated in engine bay and didn't actually penetrate the fuel can.......just mentioning it so as to be slightly less hard on the poor bloke

Yes absolutely - it's not fair to spread misinformation about it - although technically it wasn't very sensible to have a can of petrol in the boot :/
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

JD wrote:
acf8181 wrote:just read that apparanetly the other mr2 fire originated in engine bay and didn't actually penetrate the fuel can.......just mentioning it so as to be slightly less hard on the poor bloke

Yes absolutely - it's not fair to spread misinformation about it - although technically it wasn't very sensible to have a can of petrol in the boot :/

Shouldn't have anything in the boot on track. Having a can of petrol in there is just flat out retarded. Even without the risk of an unrelated fire causing it go up, something as simple as backing it into the Armco could cause it to split/leak onto that nice hot exhaust directly below it.
JD

Post by JD »

kaiowas wrote:
JD wrote:

Shouldn't have anything in the boot on track. Having a can of petrol in there is just flat out retarded. Even without the risk of an unrelated fire causing it go up, something as simple as backing it into the Armco could cause it to split/leak onto that nice hot exhaust directly below it.

well, yeah :bang: ](*,)
Marmalade

Post by Marmalade »

I would recommend a new radiator and engine lid fans if your serious about trackdays, also look at your IC if you have a turbo, I have done all three on my turbo to get control of coolant temps at trackdays.
ads

Post by ads »

cracking car for £500 buddy :clap:

although brakes were ok and pads may be already upgraded, think about Chris Wilson pads next time they're up for a change . had a chat by email, seems like a good guy

quote from him on Supra forum :

"The fast road pads will give more bite and more fade resistance than stock pads, and given similar usage produce similar amounts of dust to stock. Squeal has never been an issue with them even when used without anti squeal shims, the deletion of whih will give a noticeably firmer pedsl feel. They are for fast road usage, for sure, on J-Spec brakes they will fade on a track day, given hard usage. Most people doing their first few trackdays will not fade them.

The race pads are carbon kevlar type compound. They are noisy, they do make a lot of dust. they have an INCREDIBLY high coefficient of friction and will tolerate glowing discs. they work from cold, so those unworried by noise, dust and cost, could use them as an everyday pad (I did). They will survive all but the most manic of track day usage in J-Spec brakes, and I doubt *anyone* on road tyres would fade them in UK calipers."

may be worth a try

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”