[Mk2] [NA] Standard alarm fobs

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TheLepresean

[Mk2] [NA] Standard alarm fobs

Post by TheLepresean »

Both of my MR2s have had pretty hopeless remote alarm fobs, often ending with me looking a p*llock wandering around the car jabbing at the button for ages before the car unlocks...

I should clarify, by "ages", it's more like 20 seconds, but still, I'm used to cars unlocking from a good 20 metres. after pressing the button once. I'm given to believe this is a standard problem with all '2s, but is there an easy/relatively cheap alternative/fix?

Also, I'm not sure if my alarm is broken, I have nothing non-standard alarm wise on the car (to my knowledge), but if I try to open the boot without unlocking the car first... all that happens is the hazard lights go into strobe mode... do MR2s not having a noisy alarm? Is flashing hazards all that happens? How would I check

Thanks.
TheLepresean

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Standard alarm fobs

Post by TheLepresean »

Anybody?
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

i have the same sort of problem with the fob only working if you point it at the center of the car from 2-3 ft away.. so i guess it either could be a battery replacement jobby.. but im not 100% on that however it is a cheap option..

as for the alarm its suppose to go off. when i heard mine for the first time it scared the life out of me! its very loud! however from what ive heard from others alot of people turn this off as it can be very temperamental and randomly goes off..

hope this small amount of advice helps..
im sure someone with a greater amount of knowledge will help you out on this soon!

Good Luck
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Alas, the battery is not at fault... I've already replaced it with a brand new one to see if that would fix the problem, but it's still being hopeless.

And ah ok, how would I go about deliberately setting the alarm off to see if it has been disabled or not? And if it has, how do I go about re enabling it?
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

The car will have the toyota tvs111 system, the batteries in the siren fail destroying the circuit board, it's mounted under the passenger headlight accessible from below. The units are no longer available
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Ah... well that's good to know! Any recommended fixes? Not sure I like the idea that the only thing capable of alerting me to my car being stolen is some strobing hazard lights... also, would it void the insurance?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

i had to replace my siren, there are PLENTY on ebay, secondhand ones, toyota used the same siren on many cars, so should be easy/cheap to pick one up.
cant remember the part number off hand, but a search on here you should find something.

the siren should go off if you arm the car and then try and open the boot.
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Thank you, brief bit of research indicates more or less any TVSS system can be wired in - most easily Rav4/mk3 MR2 systems, both of which go for cheaply on eBay. Next on my list of things to do!

Just need a fix for the fobs now!
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

The problem is the TVSS IIIB receiver that's mounted behind the heater controls.

Yes, any TVSS IIIB unit should work, fitted to many Toyota/Lexus cars of similar age (doesn't the mk3 MR2 use a more advanced type? I know the gen7 Celica did).

There's a guide knocking about somewhere, which includes how to sync the receiver unit with your existing key fobs.
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Is it a case of moving the receiver then? Could it be put in the frunk somewhere?

http://forums.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/41/158802.html

Mentions the use of a mk3 MR2 alarm?

And I've seen that guide, had to for my old MR2 as the previous owner had let the batteries die completely in the fobs and they had "forgotten" the car.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

I think this is the guide...
http://forums.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-k ... bartid=274

I'm fairly sure the mk3 MR2 uses the TVSS IVB system.

And I don't think moving the existing receiver will help you at all.
Mine eventually stopped working within 3 feet of the receiver (you can't really get any closer without being inside the car!!!).

IIRC, Toyota don't supply these any more. And finding a working one will be tough given that they all seem to degrade over time.
I was lucky, Peter @ sbits sourced (and fitted) a 2nd hand one that worked a treat :)
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Mine's very temperamental, sometimes it works fine and I can open it from my house front door... sometimes I have it pressed up against the windscreen and it still refuses to unlock.

Is replacing the receiver the only real option then? My car is a '98 so finding a much newer one would be difficult....how irritating!
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

That's exactly how mine was, sometimes worked perfectly, sometimes almost not at all.

I think you have two options, either get an existing (& working) receiver, or replace it completely with an aftermarket system.

I've no idea why they degrade, but the replacement that went into my car was of the same age and worked perfectly.
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

I presume replacing it with an aftermarket system would be expensive and difficult? I might ask Peter if he has anymore working receivers, he's sorting me out a quad modded set of import rear lights at the moment anyway. Thank you for your help :thumleft:
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

After speaking with Peter, you were very lucky... the other six receiver replacements he's done have failed within the first year. Seems the only reliable fix is to go aftermarket, and he's recommended Toad to me... so I'll look into that. If it's such a regular problem, how likely do you reckon a group buy discount type thing is to work?

Thanks again for all your help. :thumleft:
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Old thread revival I know, but I have an update to my question - I recently fitted dual air horns to my car, and was wondering how difficult/possible it would be to wire the horns directly to the siren? Obviously not going to help the receiver problem, would provide a VERY audible warning if someone was trying to steal my car!!
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Anybody?

Return to “ICE and Security”