Engine Management Light came on yesterday

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stevemilton

Engine Management Light came on yesterday

Post by stevemilton »

Out for a drive yesterday and the EML popped on. When I got home I checked the code and it's P0135 - O2 sensor heater circuit bank 1 sensor 1.

I have a few questions; which one of the o2 sensors would this be, would it be ok to drive the car in the short term before it gets fixed, and what would be the best way of fixing it?

Thanks,
Steve.
'03 mk3
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Engine Management Light came on yesterday

Post by Peter Gidden »

Garrett

Post by Garrett »

I'm not familiar with toyota a but I would guess the ecu is not receiving a current draw from a oxygen sensor heater circuit(open circuit) and flags a fault, if 2 sensors are fitted the one above(upstream) of the catalyst deals with fuel trim by monitoring the exhaust gas oxygen content, the other for catalyst conditioning only, I would quess the sensor heater circuit has failed as they can do over time. Replacing the failed sensor would be the cure. I have known some cars run rich when upstream oxygen sensors fail.
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

had a quick think about this while daydreaming and you could try disconnecting a lambda sensor, starting the engine and seing wich code then comes up to identify the sensors, ie open circuit sensor 1.
cabbydave1

Post by cabbydave1 »

Sensor 1 is on the right sensor 2 is on the left
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Bank 1 Sensor 1 is on the right, Bank 2 Sensor 1 is on the left, and Bank 1 Sensor 2 is after the cat (if not JDM).

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”