Handbrake issues

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lee H

Handbrake issues

Post by Lee H »

Decided to change my rear pads yesterday and am having a few issues now. Firstly whoever last changed the pads hadn't lined the cut outs in the piston with the raised bump on the inner pad so I had so major funny shaped pads and knackered discs (and no doubt reduced braking efficiency!)

Wound the piston back, fitted the new pads and then discovered my handbrake wouldn't work, far too many clicks and wouldn't hold the wheel. Did a bit of digging last night and found that after winding the piston back in it needs to be wound back out 180 degrees to reset the handbrake mechanism before refitting. Did that this morning and foot brake all good however when I reconnected the handbrake cables one side was locked up completely (no handbrake applied).

Removed the centre console and slackened the adjuster off a lot and both wheels free to move. Issue I'm having though is the equaliser bar is pulling one cable more than the other when you apply the handbrake. Also one side is not fully releasing, I have to push the cable back through by hand to release it or reach under and do it on the caliper. If I disconnect the cables the handbrake arm releases fine so I'm guessing I'm going to need a new cable?

Strange now some guides mention winding the piston back out 180 and others don't. There was no way I was getting a working handbrake without.
foxy-stoat

Re: Handbrake issues

Post by foxy-stoat »

Hi Lee

Always has been the way, wind it all the way in then out 180 degrees for the HB to work properly without it being hit and miss.

If you need any parts, HB cables etc let me know and I will add them to the rear crash bar package as I haven't wrapped it all up yet.

Don't have the rear calipers though.
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
cabbydave1

Post by cabbydave1 »

Brand new handbrake cables are £25 each from eurocarparts I have one sticking but going to change the pair as you have to drop the tank to do it.
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

At that price its best you get them new.
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

New cables maybe it's rusted or stretched. I had to replace both on mine, only issue I found the rubber boot on the caliper end has shredded after a year so can expect them to seize up again soon.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”