MR2 Mk2 Tubby to South of France

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

raptor95GTS

Re: MR2 Mk2 Tubby to South of France

Post by raptor95GTS »

damn, sounds like an epic adventure about to start again! Have a brilliant trip :thumleft:

On a side note, why the anti puncture stuff.... I figured a cargo net on the engine cover would hold a full sized alloy til you could get the tyre repaired or replaced. Haven't tried this theory but really should look into #-o
vmaxnick

Post by vmaxnick »

raptor95GTS wrote:damn, sounds like an epic adventure about to start again! Have a brilliant trip :thumleft:

On a side note, why the anti puncture stuff.... I figured a cargo net on the engine cover would hold a full sized alloy til you could get the tyre repaired or replaced. Haven't tried this theory but really should look into #-o

Initially, I had no spare, as the Toyota space saver hasn't a hope in hell of fitting over the Lexus discs and four pot Willwoods. My engine cover is colour coded so I don't want a wheel riding on it if I can help it but suggestion noted just in case. I have made a space saver wheel but it's as yet untested (Hope it stays that way too) I have a number of tyre pilot cans too in case of emergency. With potential rock slides etc through the canyon, punctures are a real risk.
Made it right the way from Somerset to Dole in one hit, so we got down to Castellane 2 days ahead of schedule so we spent a couple of nights in a hotel in Castellane which would be an epic stop off for anyone looking to explore the canyon by canoe or raft with umpteen places organising such tours. Also mountaineering, caving, parcours or just hard core trekking. The roads down here really need to be experienced, I've done this trip by motorbike, Fiat X19 and now several times by 2 and each time I get a huge grin from the 80km canyon road. From Castellane, the left gorge road is the most dramatic but it's worth taking a round trip and doing both sides, lots of stop offs on route for food and refreshments. one of the restaurants sits right over the precipice. I will post up some pics of the trip so far and will en-devour to get a video of the left canyon route.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

aha - I have supra 325mm and porker calipers so have same issue with getting a spare to fit, I'd be very interested in your space saver details (was thinking about just getting a cheap alloy to stick out ). A couple of mats ont he engine cover to protect the paint work should do it but it's holding the wheel down securely that's the trick.

We did the Applecross a couple weekends ago, doesn't quite sound as fabby as your trip lol!
vmaxnick

next project

Post by vmaxnick »

Wife wants to take the little dog away with us next year, so the next project will be an XK8 convertible in the style of an Aston Martin Vantage. I'll be keeping the MR2 though, I'd sooner sell the Harley to finance the Jag. If all goes to plan, my son will be getting the tubby; something I would have loved when I was his age. Can't bear to part with it, I am so fond of my Toyota but it is a two seater without compromise.
The French guy with the yellow NAD was made up to see another MR2 in his village We made a friend. He had his own bike garage too, same background as me.
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Looks very cool...

I am off on something similar in August....
http://www.twoballbangerrally.co.uk

Can't wait to drive on some decent tarmac :-)
vmaxnick

Post by vmaxnick »

gavsdavs wrote:Looks very cool...

That looks awesome! Make sure you post up plenty of photo's
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

vmaxnick wrote:
gavsdavs wrote:Looks very cool...

That looks awesome! Make sure you post up plenty of photo's

Will do my best - if you follow the page on FB
https://www.facebook.com/twoballrally
it'll get updated by the organisers as we go. I understand there's another MR2 going - not sure who yet though....

Return to “Driving Experiences”