[Mk2] [NA] time for a better sound system what options

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rovtomcat93

[Mk2] [NA] time for a better sound system what options

Post by rovtomcat93 »

Currently have the passive sound system fitted (rev 4 NA).

What are the best options to improve the sound system, is there a guide available to upgrade to the active system or is that not a route I should go down?

Currently have the standard Toyota radio fitted (TF4300 radio)

Thanks for any advice.
rovtomcat93

Re: [Mk2] [NA] time for a better sound system what options

Post by rovtomcat93 »

Or has anyone fitted new 'upgraded' speakers which fit straight in without have to cut and add spacers etc?
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

I personally wouldn't consider trying to retro fit the more complicated active system, the passive system is so much easier to upgrade.

It really depends how much you want to spend and the sort of system you want to create. But a good starting point would be to change the head unit for something a bit newer.

I wanted to improve the passive system on my tubby which just had the speakers in the doors and the two behind the seats under the rear quarter windows. I wasn't looking for Mega bass best listened to 100yds down the road, just something with a bit more depth than was fitted by the previous owner.

First up I fitted a Kenwood BT44U head unit. I guess that's sort of entry - lower middle range, but I'm well pleased with the improvement. You just need to buy the appropriate DIN converter to enable you to connect your new head unit to the Toyota style socket on the loom. You can get these from Halfrods, just make sure it's the one for the passive system.

I think you'll find it really hard to find a good replacement door speaker that doesn't require some work to fit. I quite like Vibe, and fitted a pair of their 5.25" speakers on my N/A, but had to make up some adaptor rings as I couldn't find any off the shelf ones that would work. I did buy two of the plastic ones that you see listed on ebay all the time for the MR2, but they were a joke. Nothing lined up at all.

A lot of folks just advise you to change the door speakers and forget about the ones at the rear, but I personally like to have a bit of back fill, and am fitting a pair of Vibe Slik 4s in that location. Only got one fitted so far, but its a much nicer sound than the speaker previously fitted with a greater depth to the sound. But these again aren't a straight replacement and I ended up unbolting the stock speaker brackets and drilling new holes to mount them.

My tubby is a t-bar and so I didn't want to go down the route of a big sub behind the seats. I therefore decided to retro fit the stock sub from an active system, powered by a small Kenwood amp in the frunk.

I again fitted a Vibe 5 woofer in this and used loads of sound deadening material to try to lower the resonant frequency of the plastic enclosure. It's not a "true" sub in the sense that no 5" speaker is going to produce any meaningful output at really low frequencies, but it does again add a little more depth to the sound whilst retaining an OEM look.

You can usually roll of the unwanted upper frequencies for the sub on the head unit and or the sub amp.

But getting back to your original question, if there are speakers out there that you can just drop in, I haven't found them yet. But it's not that hard to sort something out.

Any way, enough of my rambling.

Paul
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

As Paul said making brackets/spacers for the door speakers is easy. I knocked up a pair out of MDF in a couple of hours including tea breaks.
There's a useful guide here - www.stephenmason.com/cars/mr2audio.html
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

rovtomcat93 wrote:Or has anyone fitted new 'upgraded' speakers which fit straight in without have to cut and add spacers etc?

My car has the passive system. I went into my local car audio centre and asked what they recommended for my mr2. They suggested their cheapest Alpine 5.25" door speakers should drop straight in. I said I wanted an upgrade on the Kicker entry level/oem replacement speakers I fitted to my previous mr2 a few yrs ago, but without going mad on price. They suggested the Alpine G series 5.25" door speakers, with choice of coax or components.

They ordered in and fitted the Alpine SPG-13CS components and the difference was amazing, keeping the oem rear quarter speakers connected.

These Alpines dont have much bass at low volume, but really come into their own just above normal talking level and there is a whole range of sounds in familiar tracks that I have not heard in my mr2s before (using the same 5 yr old Alpine headunit) as the old speakers were not up to it.

I could always fit a small sub to give it more bass at low volume for better overall sound at quieter volume levels where it is easier to talk to a passenger, but not had the need yet.

I do lots of miles and enjoy the mr2 a whole lot more. Wish I had gone for "upgraded" speakers years ago. If I ever have to replace car speakers again I might be tempted to go up another level if I can still hear the difference by then lol
rovtomcat93

Post by rovtomcat93 »

Thanks for advice.

Out of interest how much did they charge for your alpine upgrade with the fitting?

Return to “ICE and Security”